Author Topic: Super glue accelerors  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Super glue accelerors
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:44:58 AM »
Hello All.

I'm seeking some advice.

I want to apply minute quantities of slower drying super glue gel, then put in place the EZ line I need it to hold and finally add an equally tiny drop of accelerator - a process which I think is pretty much as described by Trackpad a week or so ago. But online, the only accelerator I can see is what I was offered in my local model shop - an aerosol can. I know that I could distil some of that into a small container but that seems very wasteful.

Can forum friends recommend a small tube/bottle type?

Thanks.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline skeeterbuck

Re: Super glue accelerors
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:37 AM »
Here's what i use:

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Industries-BSI-151H-Accelerator/dp/B0166FFCCS

I made a holder for it so it won't accidentally tip over and spill all over the place. (don't ask me how I know  ::))

I don't use the spray, I just unscrew the top and use the tube on the sprayer to just apply a small drop where I need it by shaking off the excess. If it's on a flat piece, I'll place the drop next to the CA and let capillary action spread the drop until it touches the glue. Just remember to re-tighten the top when you're finished for the day to keep the accelerator from evaporating.

Chuck

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:23:05 AM »
Thanks, Chuck.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:34:13 AM »
Nigel,
   I use the same product as Chuck, and highly recommend it. I use small "throwaway" hobby brushes (the all plastic ones in the blister pak, easily found on line) to apply as he does allowing it to flow into the CA by gravity or capillary action, otherwise you'll end up with a great 3 way glue joint; the line, the structure, and the brush! I've found it can damage paints that are not dried/cured, especially enamels. Once dry they seem unaffected.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:59:54 AM »
Thanks Lance.

Best wishes
Nigel