Author Topic: Fixing warped resin parts  (Read 1398 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Fixing warped resin parts
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
The W.12 is put back on the shelf until I get some replacement naval hexes.  So I pulled the Planet Rumpler C.I out of storage and decided to tackled it.  The fuselages halves look like two bananas.  They are both warped to the extent I don't want to add the interior until I get them somewhat in line.  I've placed two clamps on line them up and have them sitting in hot water from the tap.  Hope this helps but wondering if the wife's hair dryer might be a better choice.

Any suggestions from those that that had to deal with this below....

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Fixing warped resin parts
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
Charlie, I built the Planet Rumpler and had the same issue.  I boiled some water,  used a pair of tongs to dip the parts in the water, then quickly placed them, mating surface down, on a smooth, flat, cool surface, like glass or a counter top or a piece of tile.  Worked like a charm.  No clamping needed.
Good Luck!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »
Bud
Thanks for the suggestion, the boiling water and flat surface did the trick.    Did you replace the resin wing struts with another material? 
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »
I can't remember for sure, Charlie, but I think I used Strutz, a brass product from Aeroclub, sadly no longer available.  I can't remember what the kit struts looked like, but I think they were a little thinner than these.

I'm glad the warpage is gone from your fuselage.  I look forward to seeing your build log.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence