Author Topic: RFC/RAF Flight Colours  (Read 1807 times)

Offline garfield

RFC/RAF Flight Colours
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:43:20 AM »
is there a standard for these? I see that aircraft had red,white or blue wheel disks. Is this standard for A,B and C flights?
Thanks!
Garfield

Offline Brez

Re: RFC/RAF Flight Colours
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »
In squadrons that used flight colours A-red, B-white and C-blue does seem to be the most common sequence.
But it did vary. 56 squadron for instance used A-red, B-blue and white quarters, C-blue.
19 squadron's A flight used white wheel covers, B-red and C-blue. In 46 the sequence ran blue, white and red to give three examples.

Tony.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:06 AM »
In squadrons that used flight colours A-red, B-white and C-blue does seem to be the most common sequence.
But it did vary. 56 squadron for instance used A-red, B-blue and white quarters, C-blue.
19 squadron's A flight used white wheel covers, B-red and C-blue. In 46 the sequence ran blue, white and red to give three examples.

Tony.

Good point Tony. It also is worth noting that aircraft were sometimes moved from one flight to another without changing the wheel colors. There is a lot of documentation via High in the Empty blue and Glenn Merrils booklets of this happening in 56 sq.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline garfield

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:28 AM »
Thanks guys!
I'm putting together a speculative profile of Alfred Atkey's F2b. I'm supposing now that the wheel disks may have been red as he was commander of 'A' flight.
GI

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 04:49:02 AM »
Thanks guys!
I'm putting together a speculative profile of Alfred Atkey's F2b. I'm supposing now that the wheel disks may have been red as he was commander of 'A' flight.
GI

Best bet is paint them red and get whoever argues to prove you are wrong!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!