Author Topic: TP's Biff  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Trackpad

TP's Biff
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »
Hi, Everyone,

Well, it's been so long that I've finished something for the Forum, I almost forgot to post a few photos of the Biff here in the "Completed Models area". (Thx, Boggie, for the nudge! ;)). So here are a few images to give you an idea of the overall build, warts and all. Questions and comments gratefully received. Hope you enjoy the show and your weekend!  8)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:34:30 PM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: TP's Biff
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »
No warts are jumping out at me Gary, you have done a superb job with what I consider is the best kit Wingnuts have produced. The finish on your model is excellent and you did a fantastic job on the rigging, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline boggie

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
You certainly have made quite an entrance on your return to the forum Gary!  :)

Very nice engine and sharp looking rigging.

I particularly like your paint work and subtle weathering, especially in the wing rib area.

An excellent Biff all round.

Looking forward to your next.

cheers  :)   

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
Gary,
Outstanding F2b! Lovely construction, painting and rigging!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »
Outstanding looking model, great looking engine and prop (and everything else).

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:30:20 AM »
Tidy!  ;) :o

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
She's truly magnificent, Gary, and well worth the wait!  So good to see you back on the forum, especially in the company of such a beauty.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
A super rendition of one of my favourite Great War aircraft, Gary.well done !  When I get round to another 1/32 WNW aircraft it will be one to sort out the D. VII I did a while ago for a forum group build. So it will be a Biff or an SE 5a.

What product did you use for the rigging?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline davec

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »
Superb.  Love the finish, the engine, rigging, and especially the wood grain on the prop.  Tremendous work.

Dave

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »
Gentlemen, All,

I posted these photos just before going out to dinner with Sharon and a few friends. I returned to find several very complimentary messages for which I thank you all.

To Des, Boggie, RagIII and Juan, Bob, and Coyotemagic: thank you all for your kind and supportive comments. They mean a great deal to this old plastic-basher and I very much appreciate them.

To Nigel and Dave: again, thank you for your most appreciated comments. As for the rigging, it is EZ-Line (Fine) held in place with CA glue. I use a thicker (and therefore slower curing glue) as a tiny dab of it will remain in place and not quickly run across the model surface. So I place the small dab, insert the free end of the EZ-Line rigging wire, and then add a small amount of accelerator to set the CA quickly. This method surely improves "hand /eye coordination" ( ;D ) but it's fairly straightforward once you get used to the routine. As to the propeller wood-grain, I must confess that the prop itself is hand-carved from wood. It is one of the offerings from "The Micro Group" and is excellent. I just added a thin gloss coat to bring out the grain, then painted the light grey and red areas. BTW, does anyone know what the red areas are for? Warning markings, perhaps? I've seen them in a few photos and drawings, but have no idea what their use is. 

Thanks again everyone. I tell you true: it surely is good to be back with Forum friends!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline davec

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »
Hi Gary -

Do you know what kind of wood they made the propeller from?  I work in scale in wood on my model ships all the time. Finding wood where the grain looks right in scale is really challenging.  Whoever carved your prop did an awesome job of getting the appearance right, and your work on it really brought it out.

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 12:12:38 AM »
   She looks better the more I see of her Gary. An exquisitely "clean" Build that you've really represented well with your photography; lot's to really like here!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 12:42:30 AM »
I was just scoping this out and am impressed with what a fine model this is.  The seat for the gunner/observer position, the bungee chords on the gun mount, interior, wood grain on the prop, overall finish and weathering, all outstanding Gary.  Ya gotta bring this to CAPCON!
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »
Lovely Gary!

The prop is incredible..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 04:39:14 AM »
Hi Gary -

Do you know what kind of wood they made the propeller from?  I work in scale in wood on my model ships all the time. Finding wood where the grain looks right in scale is really challenging.  Whoever carved your prop did an awesome job of getting the appearance right, and your work on it really brought it out.

Dave

Dave, here's a quote from a post written by Des in 2013:

"The Micro Group has released their new range of hand made laminated wood propellers, these are an improved version of their already popular range which has been available for over twelve months.

Each propeller is individually hand made using hardwoods which include Cherry, Birch,Walnut, Maple, Ash and Mahogany, coarse grained hardwoods such as Teak and Oak are not used. A great variety of combinations are possible giving the client a one of a kind hand made laminated wood propeller.

The Micro Group are making their propellers in 1:72, 1:48, 1:32 and 1:28 scales. I have received a selection of propellers from The Micro Group and will be posting a full detailed review on the forum and my website over the next few days, below is a sample of the propellers now available."

And here's a link to one of the reviews: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1639.0

Hope this helps!  :D
Cheers!
Gary