Author Topic: Osterkamp EV/DVIII Bumble Bee scheme  (Read 2278 times)

Offline rfindley

Osterkamp EV/DVIII Bumble Bee scheme
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
Is the Osterkamp EV/DVIII yellow & black “bumble bee” scheme real, speculation or imagination?  TIA

Offline skeeterbuck

Re: Osterkamp EV/DVIII Bumble Bee scheme
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
My best guess would be possible wishful speculation. ::)  How's that for a definite maybe!

Osterkamp had a Fokker D-VII with the "Bumble Bee" scheme and is shown in his most famous picture sitting on the port wheel of the E-V/D-VIII in standard factory finish. Kinda of a 1+1=3 thinking.  :-\

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »
I think this has been discussed either here or on another forum before. I think the conclusion was that it was Not Likely.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rfindley

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I figured it was more imagination than fact.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »
Osterkamp did flew a Fokker E.V with the Lozenge patern (E.V 156/18), but he didn't like it much because he couldn't keep up with his formation which was made of Fokker D.VIIs.

There are no prove (photos) of that aircraft, but he had a D.VII with those black and yellow stripes. To go along skeeterbuck 1+1=3 it was built a replica of Bumble Bee E.V in the 80s (that also crashed in the 80s sadly) that powered up that scheme that we know see in many models.

But if you want a fancy scheme that flew in the war you can always have the same aircraft but from Sachsenberg with that great looking black and yellow checkerboard.

Sorry if i can't be more helpfull.

Cheers.

Offline rfindley

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 05:00:46 AM »
I am seriously looking at Sachsenberg's E.V

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
Sachenberg's checkerboard scheme is definitely supported by photo evidence, check the following thread for photos http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8611.0
They are not the best photos but you can just make out two of the checkerboard markings on what little of the fuselage that can be seen but it would be enough to make an estimated guess at the size of the checkers. Also visible are the 'eyes' on the cowling which appears dark, now this is an area that could cause some controversy (just like the Voss yellow cowling debate) because the cowling should be yellow (Marine Feld Geschwader standing orders were all aircraft were to be painted with yellow noses and tails) The orthochromatic film processes of the time did render the colour yellow very dark and in some cases almost black (for example the pictures of the Pfalz DIIIs of Jasta 10) so the cowling could be yellow but then you have the problem that the colour white on yellow does not provide a lot of contrast especially at a distance so that then begs the question as to why would they bother painting a 'face' on the cowling if it wasn't very visible? I noticed that Pheon decals got around the problem with their recent decal release for the Fokker EV/DVIII by having the 'faceplate' of the cowling painted black while the main ring of the cowling remains yellow, I guess this is a possibility but unfortunately the tonality of the photos is too limited to see if this was the case, though I must admit I do like their interpretation and it would make for a striking scheme and get around the contrast issues as well, plus there is an historic precedent as Jasta Boelcke had their triplane cowlings painted black with white faceplates. As for Osterkamps Bumblebee scheme, I agree with the general consensus that it is fictional but had the war lasted longer and the Marine Feld Jastas been reequipped with the DVIII, who knows? He was in command of MFJ II and I think Sachenberg had decreed that Jasta leaders aircraft were to be conspicuous by their markings so the scheme could be interpreted as a 'what if?' scheme, though most images I have seen have the cowling as black where it should be yellow, that would then mean that the positions of the stripes would shift, that is how I intend to paint Osterkamp's scheme and I must admit that it is liberating knowing that it didn't actually exist as I can infer from what historically we know about Osterkamp's markings on his other aircraft and apply it to the Fokker EV/DVIII without the fear of getting it wrong, so to speak! I guess it is kind of like imagining what a Richthofen Fokker DVII would've looked like if he had survived to fly one.

Kind Regards
Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD