Author Topic: Pete's all singing WnW 1/32 Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 build and other things  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art

Well at last the postman has delivered the WnW W.12 kit. I won't bother with photos of the box art and sprues as I'm pretty sure most here are more familiar with the kit than I am !

My intention is to build the kit as Christiansen's 1183 in early 1918. To this end I have the Pheon decals on order and also the CSM Gotha crew no.2 as I plan to show the aircraft as if inflight. This will then allow me to use it as a guide for oil on canvas paintings.

As Christiansen's aircraft is not explicitly provided for in the WnW kit this raises the following questions.
  • Does 1183 have the long or shorter exhaust ? I'm thinking short for the moment
  • Does 1183 have the larger or smaller windscreen? I'm thinking smaller for the moment
  • Which radiator cap does 1183 have ? I'm thinking centre cap for the moment 

I can see from photo ref that 1183 had the smaller upper wing cut out, and am also pretty sure that by early 1918 the LMG14 Paraellum would have had the Oigee sight fitted, and as we all know the aircraft had the small conical spinner fitted.

Any other things I should be taking into account ? (the colour of the float sides for instance  ;) )

A rough thumbnail concept sketch

the wireframe guide to be used to create accurate outlines for paintings

first stab at naval hex colours in oils

And playing with paint, but with a long way to go (12" x 6")

I'll await the arrival of the Gotha crew before diving into the cockpit, so will start with engine.

Online RAGIII

Really nice ! I like your Naval Hex colors! Looking forward to seeing your work on the engine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

I'd buy that painting just as it is!!!! Seriously it is a wonderful slightly abstract vision of flight.

My next build is the H-B W.12 - mainly because I have a fascination for sea planes especially the inter-war Schneinder Trophy racers. So dipping into pre-inter war history for these remarkable planes is a great place to go for me.

I look forward to your work on this flying boat.

Best, Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Pete Wenman

...and some progress on the kit. I have to say that while not surprised given the accolades made in the past about WnW kits that the kit is superb. I can see my self making more of these over time.

My first attempt at woodgrain- a rather indeterminate deciduous timber !

and various bits underway

I've a CSM Gotha crew on order, two of which I wish to fit into the kit so I'll need them to arrive before I close the fuselage halves so I can be happy they fit and how best they are installed.

P

Online RAGIII

Very nice wood grain. Not surprising with your Artist background  ;D Looking forward to your progress on this one!
RAGIII

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Great looking wood grain Pete.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline Pete Wenman

CSM came up trumps with the Gotha crew turning up only 3 days after being ordered and so I've got to work on them, and getting them to fit into the W.12.

First up Christiansen, with a small bit of work so I can show him in a leather pilots coat. I think I'm going to have to fit the wheel to him before installing in the cockpit, and am also thinking I'm going to have to add him to the cockpit before I close to two halves.

P

Offline Pete Wenman

Christiansen is now complete. Given how long it's been since I painted a figure I'm pleased with this. The control column position is a little off, but I can live with it given the delicate parts and confines of the cockpit.

I may dull the gloss of the leather jacket a little if the drying process does not do this of its own accord. The seat cushion has been removed from the kit part and now sees the pilot fit in nicely.

P

Online RAGIII

Stunning work on the figure! Looks fantastic to me!!
RAGIII

Offline aliluke

Wonderful. His face is brilliant - a cross between determined and terrified I'd say - as you would be with one of these planes in your control.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Pete Wenman

.....and work well underway on the gunner/observer.

I'm showing him in long great coat, puttees, and wearing a lifevest.

P

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Brilliant work on the figures and cockpit, Pete!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Brilliant work on the figures and cockpit, Pete!
Cheers,
Bud

Agree completely, those modifications on the figures are awesome.  Looking forward to your next update

Online RAGIII

The observer looks to be as nicely done as the pilot as far as the conversion goes! I am looking forward to seeing him painted!
RAGIII

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Stunning work, the figure looks great. The leather looks very realistic and the face is paintet nice, too.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau