Author Topic: Scale aircraft conversion white metal undercarriage - any experience?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Borsos

To keep things in scale many kit producers make their plastic struts very tiny for their 1:32 scale models. Even fully rigged with fishing line these models are a shaky affair. I tend to use brassrod instead of the plastic struts. But recently I found out that a producer called Scale Aircraft Conversion offers white metal undercarriage struts, axles and sometimes even struts for the better known 1:32 airplanes like the Fokker D VII, the Albatros D III/V and several others. But as white metal is flexible too and can bend my question is: Does anybody have used these SAC white metal aftermarket products, do they increase the strength of the finished model? Or do they even bend easily and leave the models on banana-shaped legs?
Thank you in advance
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Berman

Re: Scale aircraft conversion white metal undercarriage - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »
 This topic was discussed on Hyperscale forum. The replies stated the SAC simply uses the kit part for a master and the soft metal castings bent under the weight of the model. A better solution would be to incorporate steel wire into the kit's plastic landing gear or duplicate the struts entirely out of soldered brass.

Offline Borsos

Re: Scale aircraft conversion white metal undercarriage - any experience?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 04:26:56 AM »
I'm not on hyperscale forum, so thanks for the information!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.