Author Topic: Copper State's 1/48 Caudron G.IV in the hands of an average modeller  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Hello All

I have just finished a major project I have been working on since the beginning of the year - the Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon. It has had it's moments along the way, but the outcome is stunning. So now it's a return to the Great War and 1/48 scale where I want to try something.

The Copper State Models Caudron G.IV is clearly a carefully researched and magnificently engineered kit - I think the new generation Copper State models are doing for 1/48 scale what WNW has done for 1/32. Hugely talented friends on this forum have shown just what can be achieved with what appears to be a very complicated aircraft. So, where does that leave the rest of us with ambition, but more limited skills? What of the average modeler whose eyes and fingers are not what they were? Well, I want to give it a go. As ever, I'll work at a snail's pace and may often be seeking advice. I'll keep you posted.

So here we have  the box top, which will be familiar to most and the cover page of the superb instruction booklet. The white box contains some of the pieces that make up the two-man crew pod.

Copper State Models Caudron G.IV (late version)

And here, in a closer, later photo some of these same pieces, prepped and not too far off being ready for some paint, with a number of photo etch pieces already added. On first impression, the plastic parts are a delight to work with. The photo etch parts are beautiful too; some are very tiny, but my message is that they are manageable. At the top right of the right hand white sheet, for example, we have the control column and the rudder controls. The former has two pieces of photo etch which are set in line and each has holes to accommodate four cable controls; at each end of the latter are pieces of photo etch which wrap around and have two holes.

IMG_2345

Another thing that struck me was the amazingly comfortable looking chair for the pilot. Very nice; very Wacky Races! There are no seat belts provided; it would appear that we have no evidence as to what was fitted. The Caudron instrument panel was clearly, well, basic. Here we have two instruments set in the vertical plane and a horizontally mounted compass. So, I will need to make a timely decision on the seat belts, as well as fitting any necessary rigging etc. and sourcing the instrument dials.

As for that Typhoon. Well here is a taster of the beast; it is enormous! With the very scantest of weathering it's not for the purist, I know, but it suits me.

IMG_2330

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Copper State's 1/48 Caudron G.IV in the hands of an average modeller
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:49:14 AM »
Nigel,
    Very much looking forward to following your Build of this magnificent Kit. As for the Typhoon, I hope you plan more photos in the "Time to Relax" Thread, she looks like a magnificent model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this. Nice Tiffie!

Ian

Offline boggie

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:57:55 AM »
Looking forward to your build Nigel.

Very smart Tiffie! I would also like some more pix please.  :)

Offline xmald

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »
Nigel I would also be more than happy to see some more of your Tiffie!
Caudron is a lovely model and you will not encounter any difficulties along the way. I will follow closely my friend cause I'm sure you'll turn it into a true gem!
Best regards
Filip

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »
Excited to see you tackle this one, Nigel! I have it in my stash, awaiting an improvement in my rigging skills. Will follow closely!

Offline aliluke

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »
The Typhoon looks amazing. I hover around the Cauldron "buy now" button as it is an extraordinarily stunning plane. I look forward to how it unfolds in your hands.

Best wishes for the construction,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
Hello All

Thank you so much for the encouragement on this project and the kind words about the Typhoon. For those interested in the latter I will post a few shots in the "Time to Relax" section of the forum.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 08:46:45 PM »
Really looking forward to see your build of the Caudron, I have the same kit so will be very interested to see how you tackle it.

Des.

PS, beautiful looking Typhoon.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 11:58:48 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing your build! Average Modeler, questionable. As for the Typhoon why not post a boat load of photos in the time to relax section? I would Love to see More of this beauty!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 03:48:56 AM »
Well here we go. A start has been made and the crew pod is nearly finished and ready to seal up. How has it gone so far? The kit is a very high quality product and I’m pleased with the outcome so far. I have certainly enjoyed these first stages of the build. Patience is a virtue and, for me, a magnifier/lamp has been essential.

This first photo shows the major crew pod components, including the struts.  All that I have done is to fit a couple of etched metal shelves to the starboard side and attach the horizontally mounted compass to the instrument panel.  I have found the etched parts to be excellent and easily cut from the frame, if sometimes very tiny. (Try to spot later what I take to be a Morse tapper.)

The next photo shows some of the preparatory work I like to do. I often forget how I mix certain colours, so this time I have tried to be more systematic. Here are some numbered wood effect colours created using oil paints mixed with white spirits to fasten drying time, with the surplus paint dry-brushed away with varying degrees of vigour.

1. Basecoat, Tamiya XF 59 acrylic desert yellow; topcoat, Rowney Georgian burnt umber oil paint.
2. Basecoat, Tamiya XF 59 acrylic desert yellow; topcoat, Rembrandt burnt sienna oil paint.
3. Basecoat, Tamiya XF 15 acrylic flat flesh; topcoat, Rowney Georgian burnt umber oil paint.
4. Basecoat, Tamiya XF 15 acrylic flat flesh; topcoat, Rembrandt burnt sienna oil paint.
5. Basecoat, Prince August Air, 074, beige radome; topcoat, Rowney Georgian burnt umber oil paint.
6. Basecoat, Prince August Air, 074, beige radome; topcoat, Rembrandt burnt sienna oil paint.
7. Basecoat, Prince August Air, 074, beige radome; topcoat, Rembrandt burnt sienna oil paint.
8. Basecoat, Prince August Air, 074, beige radome; topcoat, Le France and Bourgeois raw sienna oil paint.
After experimentation, I went for number 7.

The other thing in the photo is a Victor Frankenstein style creation. It is built of various non-matching bits from an Eduard 1/48 RFC personnel set. My purpose was to keep a sense of scale when completing what seems a tiny crew pod. A later photo shows this to good effect.

Here we have the internal fittings applied to the port side of the crew pod …

… and the starboard side. You’ll notice what I take to be the small Morse tapper just behind the forward strut. Despite appearances to the contrary, the two sides are very closely colour matched. Eagle eyes will notice two rigging holes at the base of either side of the rear struts. The colour coding in the instruction booklet suggests that these are for control cables which run out to the inner rear interplane struts. I’m not quite sure what they might connect with internally and did wonder if they run from one interplane strut through the cockpit to the other; but never mind.   

Frankenstein’s creation appears in the next photo to give a sense of scale. It seems remarkable that two crew could fit into that pod. The seatbelts are speculative. Edgar was kind enough to respond to my frequent questions and noted that there is no information available for those on the pilot’s seat. The only way I could see anything fitting there was between the seat sides and bottom. I trimmed some belts from an Eduard set – FE852 Seatbelts France WWI.  I have not cut off the business end of the starboard belt by mistake; it is simply hanging down out of sight for the moment.  The seat itself certainly looks luxurious and, once fitted, will have a nice little shelf to the pilot’s right.

Here is the first glimpse of the cockpit floor, observer/gunner’s seat and the control panel. The seat bears some comment. Beautifully reproduced and very much on view when looking down into the crew pod, care is needed. I annealed mine to try and get the smoothest curve possible. It is a very tight fit on its bench and in trying to get the curve right, I managed to break one of the tabs which folds from the side and is glued underneath the seat itself to keep it together. I improvised by trying to reproduce, if well over scale, the interior L-shaped brackets shown so clearly in a photo of the Smithsonian’s beautifullyrestored Caudron on page 1 in Windsock Datafile 96.

The seatbelts again presented a challenge for me. It took Edgar to point out to me that of the holes drilled in the seat, two – one each side are larger than the others. Again, this is exactly as shown in the Datafile photo.  As Edgar explained it is hard to say what type of belts were used but they presumably passed through these holes. Given that the small belts I wanted to use from the Eduard set were still too large to pass through the holes, I bottled out and fitted them over the sides of the seats.

The rigging cables emerging from each side of the flooring are control cables which connected to the rudder bar. I’m not sure how much of the bar will be finally be seen, but the etched metal fittings at each end which accommodate the cables are French field blue. The four cables stretching out to the left hand edge of the photo link to the control stick via a very delicate piece of etched metal. A similar piece of metal is also fitted near the bottom of the stick, outside the crew pod for four more cables.

The next photo is included to show the instrument panel, the control stick and the rudder bar. Do bear in mind that this photo is a high magnification of a very small piece and warts and all are clear. Work has not been finished; the rubbing caused by pilots’ boots etc on what I guess may be some form of anti-slip surface on the port side needs to be sanded down smoother.
Three instruments are on view, including a horizontally mounted compass. Chatting with Edgar, it was felt that of the others, one was definitely a clock and the second possibly an altimeter. Decals had to be sourced from my collection of odds and ends remaining from other builds. Apologies, here, but I went for general effect. Mounted centrally is what I take to be a map on a roller. For this I miniaturised a section of some Great War topography/trench plans I found. Bear in mind too that the pilot would also be able to view some instrumentation placed on the engine panels.

Just one last shot which I include as a health warning about colour and the tricks of light. I took all the photos included here outside on a sunny day, though at different times. On the colour card in this photo, number 7 is almost an almost exact match for the wood interior!

I’m sorry to be so long-winded in this build, but I’m trying to capture my feelings as an average modeller embarking on what looks like a frighteningly complex aircraft. My thoughts so far? Well it has its challenges but the kit is an absolute beauty and I am really enjoying it. It is definitely one to have a go at.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 04:25:46 AM »
   Great results thus far Nigel. Your detail and paint work is well above the standard of that anonymous "average modeller" you keep referring to! This is a superb Kit and I believe you'll more then do it justice; I'll be following your progress with great interest.
   Take your time, it's a Kit deserving of the best of efforts which we know you'll provide. 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 05:33:10 AM »
I am still looking for the "average" aspects. This is first rate!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 06:23:41 AM »
I am still looking for the "average" aspects. This is first rate!
Borsos

Agree 100%, outstanding.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 07:46:50 AM »
Superb work thus far Nigel, your modeling skills are very evident in what you have achieved so far, I can see this ending up as being a real show stopper.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com