Author Topic: Albatros DIII ( OAW) Engine Question  (Read 1498 times)

Offline RAGIII

Albatros DIII ( OAW) Engine Question
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »
Did the OAW DIII have the later offset springs and lifters or the ones that were centered over the cylinders? I am thinking the offset but want to be sure as it means ordering some stuff for my current build and Finances are tight right now. Also has anyone fitted the WNW Mercedes into a Rodan DIII kit? if so any issues. TIA,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

Re: Albatros DIII ( OAW) Engine Question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »
Hi Rick,
I used a WNW engine for my Roden Albatros D I and can't remember any issues. It fitted quite fine. I didn't repair the build report yet, the pics are still in the greedy claws of Photobucket... I have to do that soon. Then you can have a look at the fitting, the fuselage is the same as on the Albatros D III.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:48:52 AM »
Thanks for the response and Input Andreas. I thought I remembered someone using a WNW engine in their Roden kit. I am looking forward to eing ale to look at your build again!

Still need info on the lifters and springs, anyone?
RAGIII

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »
i think it would be a 160 hp so centered springs right? i want to say even the wnw d.v kit requires the 160hp engine whereas the pfalz d.iiia has the 180 hp installed so that would have offset springs. your build is looking super sweet thuisafas rick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:48:13 AM »
I asked this question on Face Book and got a reply from Stephen Lawson. Most OAW DIII's had the latter offset rocker boxes. On the other hand, it seems some early ones had the earlier centered boxes. So it comes down to studying photos. Since the one I am doing doesn't show the engine in the photos I am going by Barths bird that appears to have the later fuel pump indicating the offset boxes as likely. I guess the good news is I don't think I can be proven wrong.  8)
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:41:51 AM »
Rick,
   I agree with your decision and your logic. Stephen Lawson certainly knows his stuff and, as you say, no one can really prove you wrong! Got any new hints on PC10? :D
Cheers,
Lance