Author Topic: WNW Pfalz D.XII  (Read 14281 times)

Offline davec

WNW Pfalz D.XII
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:02:27 AM »
I started drafting this a few weeks ago, before all the photobucket problems. This is a little bit of an experiment- I’m trying to see if I can use dropbox as my photo sharer. 

I started the WNW Pfalz D.XII back in March.  I am a slow builder.  This will probably be like my log on modelshipworld, where there a long gaps in posting, which reflect things getting busy at work. 

This is my third WNW kit, and my fifth airplane since returning to plastic modelling two years ago.  Please feel free to offer any advice or criticism you want.  I am a complete novice, and would really like to take advantage of all your incredible skills and knowledge.

I had planned building out of the box, but have been adding things.  The control wires are Uschi rigging, the yellow spark plug wires are detail master wiring, and the black wires are ez-line.  I used the HGW seatbelts instead of the photoetched ones that came with the kit.  I am planning on following color scheme B jasta 49 with the red tail and Pfalz silber grau fuselage.

So far I have built the cockpit and engine.  I realize the magneto is upside down.  I caught it after I buttoned up the fuselage.  Fortunately, I don’t think it will be visible.  I’m not into heavy weathering, and plan to go really lightly.  I’m aiming for it looking like after a few flights.

The only problem I have had so far was the yellow detail master wires.  Whatever plastic coating is on them seems to be related to the plastic in the bottles super glue comes in.  It took a long time to dry, so getting them on right was really tedious.  It was a sharp contrast to the ez-line, where the glue dried really quickly and was easy to work with.

I’ve made some additional progress since writing this.  If I’ve worked out posting images correctly, I’ll do another post with the images since this one, then try to keep up to date.

Dave

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WNW Pfalz D.XII
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
Beautiful work on the interior, Dave!  How did you make Dropbox work for you?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline davec

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
Thanks Bud

I posted in the comments forum with brief instructions re dropbox.  Can post more detail if it isn't enough:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8745.0

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
    Well, you might be new to the Aircraft side of the Hobby, Dave, but your skills from the Ship side have blended into the new genre very nicely. Your engine and cockpit module look excellent; nice clean well controlled results and a wonderful start to what promises to be a great Build! This is one of their better kits IMHO, and I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
I agree with the lads above.
You may be new to this genre, but you're not new to modelling and it shows in your work.

Thanks for the dropbox info. I'm sure this will help many of the members on here who are struggling to post their builds. Cheers!

Von B  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Alpha Delta 210

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »
Incredible craftsmanship! I look forward to seeing the next instalment.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:41:01 PM »

Image linked to my dropbox.
Cheers.
Von B

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline davec

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Lance, Von B, and alpha delta.  Thanks for the kind comments. 

The model ships feel like a completely different skill set. Everything from having photo reference material (guessing color from black and white much easier than reconstructing everything from limited 200 year old texts) to painting (I use different colored woods and chemically blacken brass on my ships -no paint) is new.  I may be more building WNW kits than WW1 modelling.  I really like the quality of their parts and the fit. Removes my temptation to scratch build anything.  The build pace is also really (relatively) fast.  Even though it doesn't look like much progress for 4 months, it is light speed compared to my ship model. I did some of these things 25 years ago, but the better molded kits and materials like new acrylic paints, airbrush ready lacquers, weathering paints, and extra thin cement make it very different.

Von B - I see that the image you tried to post from dropbox didn't work.  Did you remember to change 'www.dropbox.com' to 'dl.dropboxusercontent.com' in the link after you pasted? 

I have buttoned up the fuselage and sprayed it Pfalz silbergrau with drooling bulldog paint.  Will take some pictures and post later today.

Dave

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
Dave,
 Do you use a business Dropbox account?
I have the bog standard 5gb limit account and I'm unsure as to whether the linking of images applies or is allowed from my limited dropbox.

Cheers,
Bob Von Buckle  :)

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline davec

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have the lowest upgrade from the free version ("plus").  I needed more storage.  Dropbox doesn't talk about any limitations on shared links with different versions on their website.  They made some changes 7/17, but it was the removal of being able to share entire albums, not individual images.

Do you want to send me the dropbox shared link to the image you are trying to post as a PM and I can see if I can figure out what I did differently, or if it isn't a feature of free dropbox?

thanks!

Dave

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 05:07:30 AM »
Dave,
I wholly agree with Lance - your modelling skills are really very good indeed and clearly transferable to aircraft. The engine looks incredibly realistic and the cockpit detail is excellent too.. I cannot offer any constructive criticism - indeed I am learning from you.

Stephen.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
Hi Dave
We are from the same place. I've switched to plastic after several years of wooden ship modelling. My reasoning similar too - it just takes too long. I've just finished my Mercedes DIII engine for the WNW Fokker DVII. Will try to post it along with the cockpit soon. I thought about wiring the plugs as you have done but it just seems to be down the same path of extremely hard modelling, maybe next time.

Your work looks really great. Plastic is unforgiving and the wooden model makers who berate it have no idea how hard it actually is...

Best
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:33:38 PM »
Looking outstanding! Lovely interior!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 11:45:31 PM »
Great start, looking forward to your progress.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 03:28:40 AM »
Lovely neat finish!

Really nice

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941