Author Topic: WWI St Chamond tank.  (Read 1230 times)

Offline IanB

Re: WWI St Chamond tank.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 04:20:42 AM »
Very nicely done Tim! It'll look great under some paint!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 06:00:46 PM »
Agreed - .08mm?! Incredible!!!
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 07:05:47 PM »
Wow Tim, this is amazing work. As the ultimate rivet counter I was going to count all the rivets, but I decided not to bother  ;) It looks really good and I am sure will paint up very well.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 12:07:31 AM »
Good Lord what a beast! Not sure how these worked out as a weapons system, but I have to admit if I saw one clanking towards me through the fog I’d have had serious thoughts about standing my ground.

Looking good, Tim.

Dutch

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 10:51:11 PM »
I have gone as far as I intend to on this one for the time being. I’ve had a terrible time with the painting. I purchased several AK acrylic French WWI gen II paints to try out. I should have researched these paints a little better. They absolutely do not spray well! I resorted to brush painting the cammo pattern. The paint then would rub off with very little handling. I ended up covering it with a generous layer of Future to protect the paint. I do like the colors though and they do brush well. Much better than Tamiya acrylics.
Anyhow, here’s my St. Chamond. This is the early version introduced in mid 1917. Mainly identified by the raised cupolas and the flat upper decking. This tank was notoriously poor design. Powered by a 90 hp engine combined with narrow gauge track plates, it would not negotiate the uneven and disrupted terrain in no man’s land. The nose heavy front end would often gouge into the ground and risk damage to the 75mm cannon. In training the French tank crews were vocal about not wanting to be assigned to this type. However it did serve notably on flat terrain as an assault weapon later in the war.
My unit markings are fictional as I had no decals and don’t know of any produced in 1/72.

Pre-shading became moot after brush painting

Washed with Flory dark clay

Hotchkiss guns are Aeroclub metal

All upper surface and raised details are scratch built.

I have not added any mud or heavy weathering because my skills are not there yet. I do plan to build a small vignette at some time though.
Thanks for following along and all the support and reference material.

Tim

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 05:54:08 AM »
Bravo Tim, yet again you've made an excellent model of a type I'd never heard of. Well done for persevering: the end result betrays nothing of the issues you overcame to finish this lovely little tank.
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 07:33:24 PM »
Lovely work Tim. I brush painted the camo on my 1/35 version because it was impossible to mask (well I found it impossible!). She looks great, well done.

My unit markings are fictional as I had no decals and don’t know of any produced in 1/72.

Too late for you, but here you go: http://www.blackliondecals.nl/images/72004.jpg  Black Lion do a range of WWI 1/72 AFV decals.