Author Topic: Hansa - Brandenburg W.12 Wing walks  (Read 2135 times)

Offline wmoran

Hansa - Brandenburg W.12 Wing walks
« on: July 28, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
I am working on the WNW H-B W.12 kit, but the instructions do not mention anything about the wing walks on the lower wings.  The kit decals also do not have these areas excluded from the hex camo, but the wing walks are prominently molded on the lower wings.  Does anyone know how these wing walks should be depicted?  Should they be metal, a tar-paper type non-slip surface, or something else?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bill Moran

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
Re: Hansa - Brandenburg W.12 Wing walks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
With this kit on order I to have a vested interest in the question.

Looking at that last of the archive photos on the WnW webpage for the W.12 it appears those aircraft shown have their walkways covered with the lozenge scheme.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3114&cat=1#

My assumption (and you know what they same about them) it that the walkway is likely lozenge covered plywood.

I'll let the experts chip in now and prove me wrong !

P

Offline eclarson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:59:19 PM »
I seem to recall from research when building mine that I saw examples of both cases - some with lozenge and some not.
For mine I opted for not and painted them a light gray dirtied up with some pigments and dry-brushing.

Eric
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:04:01 PM by eclarson »

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 01:49:46 AM »
I would agree with Eric that the walks are painted a light gray similar to the fuselage sides. I couldn't see any for the WNW site that looked lozenge covered to me.

Good luck with your W.12!

Chuck

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:53:33 AM »
   After viewing every ref. photo I could find I concluded either light grey or left in natural metal; in the end I opted for the latter.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline wmoran

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »
Thanks guys.  I had looked at everything on WNW's website except the archive photos link from that kits product detail page.

It does appear in most of the photos that the walkways are not covered in lozenge.  I think I'm going to go with the dirty light grey look.