Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren  (Read 39331 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2017, 02:12:20 AM »
     Thanks Rick!
     Looks like another question with no one answer Prze. As you say the availability of copper is the key issue, and I agree that the French would have been somewhat less likely to feel the effects then Germany. No interruption BTW, I really enjoy discussions like this, and learn so much!
    von B, as I said that snow is from a few years back. We are still doing fairly well here in the "Great White North". As for "Wonder Dog", we call him that because he is a very talented little fellow; climbs ladders, opens cupboard doors etc. He's a "dropout" from our Royal Canadian Mounted Police Canine Training School. Were very lucky to have got him but he came with a few shocking talents......  He's very devoted, rarely no more then two feet away from me if he has a choice!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Looking great, Lance! I really like your weathering on the fuselage. Someday when my skills improve I will get adventurous and try it.

As for the Le Rhone question, I have seen 2 9J's in person, both at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York. One powered their Avro 504k replica for many years, and the other is mounted in a Fokker Dr. 1 replica that was in regular use up until the 1980s. I can attest that both have copper pipes, but the one in the Dr.1 saw a tremendous amount of use, and it's safe to say that everything under the cowling was the same color from all the castor oil buildup! So fear not, a well-used engine in a heavily weathered airframe will be very much stained one shade. Great work, I envy what you can do!

Ian

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »
   Thanks for your kind comments Ian. It would appear that either copper or steel pipes could be accurate in this case, although I now am leaning more towards copper for this LeRhone installation. Having said that though I'm not going to repaint this one, like the darker "browner" shade of PC.10 I've mixed up for this subject I am confident no one can convince me it's incorrect! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
 Lance,
Man do I ever need to get back to this forum more often! Just found this awesome thread this evening and read it through. Absolutely Outstanding work my old friend. Your weathering is as always right on target along with top notch skills. I'm most impressed with the way you've shown the gasoline washed off dope,absolutely beautifully done. Keep up the awesome levels of excellence. Will be following!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
   Thanks so much Greg! Your compliments and approval mean a great deal, this is a very unique and new (in my experience at least) finish. I've got the middle panels and the lower wing roots done now, photos to follow shortly.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
Awesome Lance  8)  What's all that white stuff?  ;) Honestly, a cracker of a job. I haven't been too active, as you know,
modelling can be a fickle mistress. I sort of gave up on the blow by blow accounts.
Pottered around a lot, but getting back to it again. You have made excellent progress, and
I really want to do the Camel, so will watch yours come together.

Cheers Lance

All the best from NZ

Dave
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2017, 01:38:07 AM »
     Time for another update, this Build seems to be getting slower as time goes on!
     The flying and control surfaces were taped and Post Shading applied to the ribs using dry chalk pastels, a long and frankly tedious process.

In this photo the chipping of the PC.10 on the wing roots has been completed showing the CDL exposed. On reviewing the photos I've decided to add a bit more chipping to the next rib space on both sides when I distress the decals.

Here's some of the shading completed followed by views of the components sealed with 4 coats of Future in preparation for the decals:

...... and with Future, the step plates are "Bare Metal" adhesive foil.

The grey panel below the cockpit has been chipped as well with the original PC.10 showing through per the reference photos:

Next step is to mount the lower wing to the fuselage and fill in the resulting gap at the back edge of the joint. Once that is complete and the area refinished it will be time to tackle the decals. Given the number of comments on the fragility and tendency to break up of these particular decals I've given them a coat of Microscale's "Liquid Decal Film" to hopefully preclude such problems.
   More to follow once the foregoing steps are completed.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2017, 01:59:10 AM »
Spectacular work on the weathering, Lance!  Matches the photos perfectly!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »
Thanks Bud! This multi layer chipping process sure makes for slow progress, I'll be very pleased once I get the decals on and distressed and get back to the basic Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
Hi Lance, your time and efforts have been rewarded with outstanding results.  Looking forward to your progress.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
Thank you Juan, both for your kind comment and for looking in!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
 Lance,
I can't get over your multi layered chipping! Each time I look at the more impressed I become. Keep these awesome up dates coming my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »
   Thanks Greg, nice to have you checking in. I got most of the decals on this PM, will work at distressing them a bit and try to get a few more photos up in the next few days.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »
Spectacular work on the weathering, Lance!  Matches the photos perfectly!
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with my Amigo Bud! Outstanding work on the weathering and in particular the chipping!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2017, 05:36:42 AM »
Thanks Rick, I've got the decals on and they have been distressed as well. Photos to follow shortly.
Cheers,
Lance