Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren  (Read 39670 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 03:02:14 AM »
Good to see you back on this one Lance. The weathering looks very good - mind you the original looks as though it had been through the mill a few times!  Will continue to follow with interest.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 03:12:06 AM »
   Thanks Stephen, the aircraft certainly does look as though it's been "through the wringer" just a few times! It is nice to be back, I am amazed at the impact of losing my computer had, we've become so reliable on these evil machines!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 05:01:49 AM »
Looking great Lance.  I think your dog is related to Snoopy and paying homage to his relative's legendary battle with the Red Baron, LOL.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »
Juan,
    I agree, the similarities are intuitively obvious!! ;)

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:23 PM »
You've got a pair of beauties there Lance.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
The weathering looks spot on Lance.  Hopefully you can get those other two cabane struts on and move on to other areas.  The flext tape looks good.  I didn't do this to mine as the instructions for the decal placement doesn't really show the overlap for the USAS version.  The snow and the dog look terribly cold and too early for that stuff.  I will take my Arizona warmth.  One of our Calgary guys is down now for the winter.
Looking forward to the next update.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »
Great work, Lance. The chipped colour looks great. Right my kind of stuff.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 11:22:42 PM »
Watching with great interest, Lance. Fine progress. My pair of Camels just reaches the airbrushing stage and I will try to follow your steps.
One thing made me wonder, the colour of intake manifolds for the Le Rhone engine. I was always imprinted with them being copper. May I ask, where did you find that info about steel?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »
   Thanks for the positive comments, Guys. Mark, the photo of "Wonder Dog" was actually taken a few winters back about this time of year. Presently we are without snow and still enjoying reasonably warm weather for this time of year however I have a feeling we'll pay for our pleasures in the end! :-\
   As I indicated earlier the wrap around of the PC.10 is hard to read on the Kit Profiles. I normally take the info in the Windsock Data Files as the final word thus my version here could be one of many methinks! Given the large number of contractors that produced Camels (I counted 12 in the Chaz Boyer book!) I believe different "standards" were probably inevitable. I'd welcome more info on this topic from Members here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2017, 11:39:24 PM »
Watching with great interest, Lance. Fine progress. My pair of Camels just reaches the airbrushing stage and I will try to follow your steps.
One thing made me wonder, the colour of intake manifolds for the Le Rhone engine. I was always imprinted with them being copper. May I ask, where did you find that info about steel?

Prze,
    I wish I could remember exactly where the comment came from. I noted it when I was working on the Mikr Mir D.VIII and wrote it down as ""Oberursel's version of the LeRhone (Oberursel Ur. II) had copper exhaust pipes, the LeRhone's were steel" I believe I got it here, probably in an engine article? I followed it on the D.VIII Build and now on this one.
Please let me know if you find it or different information.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
Lance, I have just made a quick Google search for Le Rhone engines photos. I have to say that all I found were copper intake manifolds. I cannot make up the differenc between 9C and 9J versions, maybe what was installed on Camels was different but there is even the WNW instructions calling for copper. That is why I asked you for the source. Anyway - great progress on your model!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »
Lance, I have just made a quick Google search for Le Rhone engines photos. I have to say that all I found were copper intake manifolds. I cannot make up the differenc between 9C and 9J versions, maybe what was installed on Camels was different but there is even the WNW instructions calling for copper. That is why I asked you for the source. Anyway - great progress on your model!

Thanks Prze, and I found the reference comments here:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8522.0

Given the comment quoted from Kohlman M. I'd say one couldn't be too far off with copper on the Oberursel, steel on the LeRhone or, apparently, the opposite!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:57:53 AM by lcarroll »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
Lance,
Awesome work on the weathering to date! Your results are spot on!! The Tamiya curvy tape worked well. I am glad to see that as I picked up several rolls in varying widths recently  ;D I am as always looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »
Thanks, Lance for the link. So, IMHO it seems the question is if copper was still available. I would say Germans suffered from lack of resources and might have replaced copper with more commonly available steel. But French? Less probable, but you never know. Anyway, WNW seem to depict the early curved pipes which, seemingly, were the original copper ones. Nevermind, I am sorry for the interruption. Keep up with great modelling!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »
Great update, Lance  ;)

Nice Dog, shame about the snow!  :o

Cheers,
bvB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith