Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren  (Read 39652 times)

Offline ondra

Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 10:44:17 PM »
Great job, Lance, looking at the pictures of your progress it is pretty clear now what my next build will be. :) Highly inspirational, thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline jknaus

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Beautiful pit there Lance. Man you are inspiring to watch. I'm really finding it hard to finish the modern stuff I'm doing for work, I'd rather be following your lead and building one of these beauts.
James

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 12:04:38 AM »
    Many Thanks Rick, Juan, Ondra, and James for your generous comments. It is a very nice Kit however I wouldn't recommend it to a novice! There's so much of the cockpit detail that disappears when the fuselage is closed, what is it we all say? At least I know it's in there...  Once I get back to it I hope the pace of the Build increases or my ambitions to do the other versions and perhaps a Comic may start to soften a bit!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »
Spectacular work on the office, Lance!  That instrument panel is especially eye catching.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 01:42:31 AM »
Spectacular work on the office, Lance!  That instrument panel is especially eye catching.
Cheers,
Bud

Ditto my Amigo's comments !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 04:26:44 AM »
Those instruments look real! The rest of the cockpit is something to die for too. Excellent modelling Lance - a show stopper indeed.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2017, 05:30:54 AM »
Bud, Ed, and Stephen,
   Thanks for your positive votes Guys, means a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 05:40:21 AM »
This is just looking gorgeous, Lance. I think the instrument panel, in particular, is really top quality. I've enough on my plate without you making me want a WNW Camel!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »
Superb job with the cockpit interior Lance, the wood colours are excellent and the instrument panel is one of the best I have seen.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
Thanks Nigel and Des. That panel has several or more AeroClub bezels from your generous support, Des!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
Lovely work on the interior, Lance.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
    A belated Thank You for your comment, Prze. I completed the Mikr Mir E.V / D.VIII yesterday so once I do the Completed Models entry on it I'll be digging this one out and deciding where to restart this Build. I'm really looking forward to a bit of smooth sailing after dealing with the "Razor"! ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2017, 11:36:22 PM »
     I noticed coming back to this Thread today that I hadn't included the arrival of the Barracuda wicker seats we had been discussing here. Although too late for this Build the seats I ordered arrived in perfect condition and they are up to or better then the quality of the earlier generic wicker seats from this company. The open weave strip across the back is 99% flash free and the quality of the molding is superb.

I have three sets on hand now to add to future Camel Builds.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »

Great work on the cockpit there !!!

P

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2017, 01:15:42 AM »
   After an extended break to finish the Fokker D.VIII, a trip east to meet up with four friends and attend the IPMS Ottawa CapCon Show, and a two week struggle with a totally failed computer I'm back on line and  working on this project again. Since last posting I've closed up the fuselage, finished a number of components, and started the painting.
   The fuselage went together reasonably well, no seam to fill on top and only minor filling required on the underside. As you can see in the photo I've managed to knock off two of the cabanes in the process; I'll leave them to repair once the fuselage is completely finished.

The Kit LeRhone has been completed using Alclad metal colours. I added the ignition wires on the back side and stayed with the Kit push rods as they are more or less invisible behind the engine once in the cowling. The dog hair at the 10 oclock position has since been returned to it's owner!

I read somewhere here that the LeRhone had steel exhaust pipes, the Oberursel version copper thus the all silver assembly.

Some of the other components completed and awaiting installation. As you can see on the cowling "Wonder Dog" is insisting on adding bits of his DNA to this project!

Following the Kit Instructions I elected to finish the bottom wing and empanage next for assembly to the fuselage before tackling the upper wing. The under surfaces were done with a 50/50 mix of Humbrol Linen #74 and Model Master #2709 Light Ivory. After poring over the References I concluded that the only rule concerning "wrap over" of the PC.10 upper colour was there is no rule! Photos show none, a very narrow wrap over on all edges and some with only the leading edge of the wing with the feature. The profiles in the instruction booklet are hard to interpret but seem to show only the leading edge option. I finally elected to follow the Windsock Data File statement of "a 1-2 inch wrap over on all edge surfaces on flying and control surfaces". I masked them using Tamiya's newer Masking Tape for Curves and I am very impressed with the product. It bends amazingly, goes down well, and did not lift any paint when removed; I highly recommend this stuff!
   Here's a couple of photos that illustrate the flexibility of the tape and the results once completed.

Last item on this update is weathering; this particular aircraft was subject to an inordinate amount of weathering and paint peeling as is shown in the Kit's Profile D. The photo below from the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum shows MacLaren in the aircraft in an even more weathered state.

I am using the "Hairspray" method to replicate this appearance. This requires careful masking and painting of the three different material base coats first; front to back natural aluminum, what I see as PC10 over wood, and CDL from the cockpit aft. The decals will present yet another challenge as the aircraft's marking appear damaged as well in the Reference photos.
 Here's my progress thus far, the PC.10 below the cockpit has been given a coat of hairspray and will be sprayed Battleship Grey next before "chipping".

That's progress until today, I hope to get the fuselage completed to the stage where I can apply the markings in the next several sessions.

Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:19:45 AM by lcarroll »