Author Topic: Sh*tstorm  (Read 1725 times)

Offline macsporran

Sh*tstorm
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:35:34 AM »
So, I'm making these two Monogram Classic cars - a Cadillac and a Packard, both together so I can spray two chassis simultaneously - and I've sprayed the Caddie in two beautiful coats of light and dark grey and the Boattail in Chocolate Brown and Coral Beige and I'm just getting to the stage of putting everything together when I decide the Packard could do with a Brown coachline along the beige bodywork.

Now, I use automotive acrylic sprays for my cars and decant from the rattle cans into little hotel-type shampoo bottles, before putting into the airbrush. So I give the chocolate brown shampoo bottle a good shake and unscrew the top...... aaargh, paint explosion, brown paint everywhere.

Splattered Cadillac, Packard, shirt, trousers, wheels, tyres, workbench.....
Do you know that scene at the breakfast table in the movie Trainspotting, with the soiled bedsheets?

I've got to step back, take a walk outside and decide whether to bin the lot, or strip everything back to plastic.
Sheesh, this is a hobby? I do this for fun?
Sandy
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:29:08 PM by macsporran »

Offline IanB

Re: Sh*tstorm
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:42:45 AM »
Ouch! Time for a pint methinks!

Ian

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:41:30 AM »
Do you know that scene at the breakfast table in the movie Trainspotting, with the soiled bedsheets?

Yes I do... ouch! Don't bin it, just leave it for a while!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:15:41 AM »
been there, done that...
I have had an airbrush 'explode' on me more than once, my wife turning on a fan near a dusty table, just when I was doing a wet clear coat and I had a cat run across the table and knocking over a jar of thinner when I wasn't there, nearly disolved the complete kit...
That one didn't survive, all the rest (including the wife and cat) are still treasured items.

Hang in there, take a step back, breath in, breath out.... most likely it can be saved, just takes a lot of time...
good luck!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:19 AM »
"been there, done that..."

Yep! .......and I'd bet there's not many that haven't!
    My favourite stunt involves the very sensitive switch on the Badger Paint Stirring gadget, great tool but if you touch the trigger as you lift the agitator out of the paint jar....... instant splotched everything within a five foot radius! :( :-[
    Hope you can salvage all of that effort, Sandy, as Hidde has indicated, it usually just takes a lot of time.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:31:36 PM by lcarroll »

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Ouch! Time for a pint methinks!

Ian

Several pints!!!!!

Glenn

Offline Old Man

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »
Always hard to have one go side-wise at the last moment, especially when it follows from just wanting to do one more little thing to make it perfect....

Hope you can manage a repair.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »
Hell, Sandy. I don't know which upsets me more as I digest my breakfast: the thought of the damage to your beautiful models and the collateral problems, or a reminder of the scene from Trainspotting.

Bon courage, mon ami !

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 10:13:17 PM »
Put a sign in large letters over your spray area: "Stirred, not shaken".  ;)