Author Topic: Hello from Monroe, LA  (Read 2130 times)

Offline wmoran

Hello from Monroe, LA
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
I am Bill Moran, and I am just getting back into modelling after about a five year hiatus due to a job that left no time for a life.  Prior to that, I had gotten back into modelling in 2001 after having stopped years early when I went into the military.  I mostly did WWII 1/35 armor with regular breaks to do some 1/32 & 1/48 WWII aircraft.  I was always hesitant to try my hand at rigging, so never did any biplanes.  When I decided to get back into the hobby this time, I looked for something a little different, and the WNW kits caught my eye.  These kits are wonderful.

My problem now is that I'm trying to super detail engines and do rigging while getting adjusted to my close-up eyesight going out on me.  I've got a relatively cheap clone of an Optivisor plus an LED lamp with magnifying glass in it, but I'm still struggling to find the right distance from my eyes to hold things to see most clearly.  I'm also having problems due to my hands shaking most of the time from an old neck injury, and on top of all the things aging throws at me, I also have to use a lot of CA glue.  I absolutely hate CA.  It never sticks in a timely manner when I have part in the right place, but it sticks immediately to my skin, tweezers, etc., or when the part is just a little off, plus the vapors give me a cough.

Even with all these problems, I'm now officially hooked on WWI aircraft.  I have been using the first couple of models I've been working on as test beds for things such as detailing the engines and cockpits.  I add spark plugs, wiring, and some extra plumbing to the Pfalz' engine, but I'm going to go ahead and hide the work behind cowlings.  Soon, however, I think I'll be ready to display some models with cowlings off.  The tutorials and forum on this site have helped me tremendously.  I'm going to try to do the lozenge decals on this model from the kit material bolt-style decals, i.e., not cookie cutter.  If anyone has any tips, please send them my way.  Also, if anyone has any tips on how to get a good paint job with two long hair cats in the household, send them along too.

I've enjoyed reading through the forum postings, and look forward to communicating with you all over time.  I will try to get setup to take some pictures of my work to post here for critiques, but right now my work area is a disaster area.

Thanks,
Bill Moran

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hello from Monroe, LA
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
Hello Bill and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to your participation with the forum and its members, we have many very talented members who are all willing to share their knowledge so please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Bill, and to WWI Aircraft Modelling. I have many of the same challenges; old age tends to induce challenges into the modelling equation! I use an Optivisor for about 1/3 of my model time and have a German Shepherd who insists on being within inches of me constantly. A quick check for dog hair before every step of the Build is now habit! (and not always succesful!) Take it slow and careful, you'll find you will develop workarounds for most of the problems you've mentioned. Above all accept that no model is perfectly done and concentrate on the enjoyment of the past time!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Bill.
You will find all the info you need right here.

Cheers,
Bob Von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 01:35:14 AM »
Welcome aboard, Bill!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:01:52 AM »
Welcome Bill! Your issues with eyesight and shaking sound very familiar  ::) I am sure you will find any help and assistance you desire here on the Forum. Looking forward to seeing your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »
Hello Bill and welcome to this wonderful forum. I'm sure that others, definitely including me, will share and understand the sort of issues you describe.

Like you, I never feel comfortable using CA glue and often had the same problems. I now tend to do the following. First I decide whether a more easily manageable glue will do the job perfectly adequately. Sometimes when attaching photoetch pieces, either to other such pieces or to plastic, they are so light and under such little pressure that a very tiny amount of simple white craft or woodworking glue will more than suffice; adjusting their placement is very easy. If I decide the stronger bonding of CA is essential, then I follow exactly the same procedure to get the placement precise and only then run a little CA from the end of the wire or pin I'm using as an applicator.

Now, for reasons I can't explain, no matter how carefully I clear the nozzle of the CA tube I hardly ever seem to get more than halfway through it before things go west!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »
Bill
Welcome to the forum.  I worked for the railroad (Mopac/T&P) from Shreveport to Lake Charles in 1974-75 and still miss the great food your state has!

I use Canopy glue where I use to used acc before.  it's a white glue stronger than Elmer's.  Found mine on Amazon.   As others commented I use acc where I need a strong bond and use a needle to apply a small amount. 

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »
Welcome to the forums  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline steveb

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
Welcome Bill, I'm in Lafayette, LA. There are a couple of other guys here from LA, "Albatros1234" from N.O. & "Cajun" from the Lafayette area.

Steve