Author Topic: Eduard Photoetch vs Decals  (Read 1955 times)

Offline skeeterbuck

Eduard Photoetch vs Decals
« on: July 08, 2017, 03:54:16 AM »
Here's a question I would like to get some feedback on as to what others here think. I face this decision on every Eduard build I encounter that is to use the photoetch as opposed to using the decals. The current one is their Fokker DVII (OAW) where you have a plastic instrument panel that you can add decals to for the gauges or with the photoetch set you get a panel that is pre-painted with the gauges already done. I usually sense that Eduard thinks that the photoetch is an upgrade to the kit supplied plastic parts. In the case of some access panels, the prop boss etc. I would agree. But with the gauges they just seem though small are still too over scale and the decals are really a more "accurate" in scale option. Plus the detail on the decals is finer that the painted photoetch.

So what do most builders do, use the decals like me or use as much of the photoetch as possible?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful insights on the issue.
Chuck

P.S. FYI: I am able to paint the plastic parts supplied to at least the same standards as the supplied painted photoetch.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Eduard Photoetch vs Decals
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:36:00 AM »
Most of the details offered by Eduard are an inprovement to the stock, plastic parts, but I must agree with you that does not always include the instument panels.
Sometimes they work, but most of the times I use decals (Eduard or Airscale) with seperate pe-bezels from differant sources.
That gives me better detailed gauges with easy to paint rims, works just fine.
I just wish that Yahu models would do a series of WW! instrument panels, I have several of them for wwii kits and they are miles ahead of the Eduard ones... I have asked them, but so far no aswers.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 05:50:50 AM »
I agree 100 per cent with Hidde, Decals and separate PE bezels are my method as well. In most cases I neither like the eduard seat belts (too stiff) nor the eduard prepainted dashboards.
But when I am not totally wrong Yahu produced some panels for WNW kits, for the Pup I think and for the Albatros D. V.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
I was not aware of them, thank you! But they are 1/32 and not 1/48. But i have a Albatros in 1/32, so I will look into that.

Offline Flute

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
Specifically about the Eduard Fokker D.VIIs, the PE panel is IIRC for an Albatros built example. Most of what's on there is the fuel switches rather than instrument dials, similar to the little selctor panel switches you get on the right hand side of Albatros fighters. So you shouldn't really use it for the OAW built example. The plastic panel is much more like it. This applies to the original releases, I don't know if the more recent ones differ.

Paul.

Bughunter

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:44:55 AM »
IIn most cases I neither like the eduard seat belts (too stiff)
You should try the new steel series, that is really cool stuff! The plate is 0,1mm thin (the buckles etc), the "fabric" is etched to the half.
They are very thin, easy to bend - the do not come back, and the color stays better.
I used the once, but like it immediately.
Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:38 AM »
Ok, that's good to know - thanks for the hint, Frank!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.