Author Topic: 1/72 Breuget Br M 4  (Read 9651 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: 1/72 Breuget Br 5
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »
Great progress, Stephen, just awesome what you are doing. The nacelle looks as goid as the wings!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »
Stephen,
    Your use of simple but incredibly effective "jigs" and jig like formers never ceases to impress, you make all this appear so simple! The last two photos are impressive, it's really starting to come together ....... lovely work! 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

I can't add much to what Lance said so I will just agree  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Old Man

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
Coming along beautifully, Sir!

Great work.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Really looking good Stephen, you did a great job on the nacelle and the wings.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »
excellent progress,i always enjoy your builds

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 06:52:44 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left such positive comments: I really do appreciate them and find them most encouraging.

Lance I only use what is to hand for my "jigs" - as you can see they would not disgrace a Heath-Robinson cartoon but they do work, are easy to assemble and take apart and do not take very long to construct. I realise that for some I may be sacrificing a tiny amount of accuracy but unless they uses a micrometer I defy them to identify where the inaccuracies are. I am like most people who make models - I do it for fun and making these jigs is part of the fun for me - how to solve a problem is one of the challenges of scratch building that I enjoy. I hope that others may see something useful for themselves in my apparent (or real) madness.

I have been away for short periods recently so progress has been a little slow but the model is now painted so there is something to report. Before I started the painting I added the bomb containers beneath the lower wings: these were carved from 2 sheets of 60 thou card laminated and filed into shape before I glued them into place. I also made the underwing fuel tanks from the front sections of some old bombs from an Airfix kit that I had made when I was a teenager! I cannot now remember which kit they came from but I think that they may have been 500lb from the Douglas Dauntless. I write may because I do not know whether 4 such bombs were provided in that kit. In any event I inserted a fillet of 60 thou card between the sections, filed the card to round section, filled and sanded the joints, and applied paint. Similarly the tail surfaces were cut and shaped from 30thou card and glued together. The radiators were cut from 60 thou card and the surfaces scored with a modelling knife.

Breugets seem to have been varnished linen: I used the colour guide in Munson's Bombers 1914-1919 as the basis for my colours. These were mixed from Revell Beige (314) acrylic with a dash of white. The roundels were hand painted: I scribed a circle with a pair of dividers and painted the white first (2 thin coats of Humbrol enamel). When this was dry I scribed two more circles for the red and blue circles which were also Humbrol enamels. The rudder stripes were painted at the same time. Getting the roundels on to the upper wing ailerons was a litlle tricky but was achieved by holding the ailerons in place with small pieces of masking tape while I scribed on the arcs.

Now I can assemble the exhausts, fuel tank on the rear fuselage and upper wing and tail surfaces.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:00:36 AM by lone modeller »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »
Steven,
    Your hand painted markings are sheer magic, flawless! It's just about there now, another show stopper from your talented bench. Nicely done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 07:48:45 AM »
Steven,
    Your hand painted markings are sheer magic, flawless! It's just about there now, another show stopper from your talented bench. Nicely done!
Cheers,
Lance

My thoughts exactly

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
Coming along quite nicely, great looking markings.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »
Beautiful work, Sir!

The hand-done roundels are tremendous.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
Outstanding work as always, Especially on the hand painted roundels!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ondra

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
Very nice progress so far, Stephen, you definitely possess excellent scratchbuilding skills, as is visible from every single photo you post!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline IanB

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
More wonderful work Stephen, although is it me, or is there a blip in the roundel on the right wing about 1 to 2 o'clock? It may just be the pic, but it looks a little flat.....other than that, (if it is even an issue), flawless as usual!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 04:16:34 AM »
Ian,

The "flat" on the right roundel seems to be an effect of the camera because i have looked at the original closely and cannot see a problem. Sometimes there are slight errors in the rings using the method I have described which require touching up, but I do not think that it has happened this time. Thanks for making the point though - much appreciated.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 06:53:13 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks Ian, Ondra, Rick, Des, Old Man, Juan and Lance for your kind rekmarks. Lance here is another of my home made jigs - note the great care with which the various components were selected from what was available within arm's reach.......

The exhausts were the first thing to go on after the painting: they were made from rod and glued into the holes in the rear fuselage where I had added extra card in the interior to make the sides stronger. The oil or fuel tank, (not sure which - does anyone know for sure?) above the rear fuselage was made from thick sprue filed and sanded into shape.

The top wing and tail unit were next. The procedure is one that I have used many times before in that I glued the inner wing struts to the lower wing and while these were still flexible I placed the top wing on to them. The tail unit was slid into place between the rear of the booms: I had already put drops of superglue on to the ends of the booms so the tail unit had to be placed carefully before the boom ends were pulled together. The whole was jigged while the wing struts dried out.

After drying out overnight it was relatively easy to add the remaining wing struts, followed by the cabanes and finally the vertical boom struts. I also glued the radiators on to the cabanes at this stage as they were relatively easy to get to.

With the wing and booms now firm and strong I could add the large fuel tanks under the top wing.

Undercarriage next.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.