Author Topic: Special Hobby 1:48 Morane Saulnier AI  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Iancshippee

Special Hobby 1:48 Morane Saulnier AI
« on: June 26, 2017, 06:39:11 AM »
This is modeled after what I would say was the most exciting WW1 aircraft I have ever witnessed in the air. Rhinebeck's example was powered by a Gnome 160 and flew for about 10 years before being retired to the museum. I was 6 or 7 the last time I saw it fly, and something that loud and that fast leaves a mark on your memory! I was very happy when Special Hobby released a kit that included markings to match that plane! The kit went together very easily, and the only change I made was using a propeller from an Eduard Nieuport 11 kit as the ones it came with were molded with the blades the wrong way round. somewhere i have a picture of my daughter "helping" me build! I will try to dig it up.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:49:57 AM by Iancshippee »

Offline Iancshippee

Re: Special Hobby 1:48 Morane Saulnier AI
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »
I found the picture of my daughter helping me with this one!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:19:48 AM »
That looks like a super model - and your daughter a little charmer! Great finish and interesting and colourful markings. Congratulations on a very good build.

Stephen.

Offline rtenyes

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
I saw this plane fly at old Rhinebeck also, though I was a bit older than 6 or 7...  It sounded like a really large Singer sewing machine and went like stink.  As I recall when it was in the air it made the other airplanes look like they were standing still.  What a gorgeous looking airplane!  And a sound like nothing else.  Nice job and thanks for a great memory. 

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
A very nice looking model Ian, you have done a great job with the overall finish on this plane, BTW, cute daughter, was she allowed to play with the model when it was finished :) :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
Thank you everyone! It went together far easier than I was expecting, and I'm happy with it! My helper did want to play with it, but she is wise beyond her years and understands that they are fragile. She loves to stand and look at them, so I have them all on a shelf at her level. Risky I know, but she has only broken one! That's another story for another thread. She and I have built 2 models for her now, both cars (a jeep and a fire truck) and they are tough enough for her to play with, but weak enough for her to learn how much force will break something!

Rtenyes, it sure does move! Building this kit, you can see why. The whole fuselage is circular the entire length, tapering right down to a point at the tail. Just a long bullet shaped fairing for a beast of an engine!

Online Borsos

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
Thank you everyone! It went together far easier than I was expecting, and I'm happy with it! My helper did want to play with it, but she is wise beyond her years and understands that they are fragile. She loves to stand and look at them, so I have them all on a shelf at her level. Risky I know, but she has only broken one! That's another story for another thread. She and I have built 2 models for her now, both cars (a jeep and a fire truck) and they are tough enough for her to play with, but weak enough for her to learn how much force will break something!

Rtenyes, it sure does move! Building this kit, you can see why. The whole fuselage is circular the entire length, tapering right down to a point at the tail. Just a long bullet shaped fairing for a beast of an engine!

That's as touching as wise from you. How awesome is it to do what you love with the ones you love and to be able to pass the torch! I wish you many many more modelling hours to come with your charming daughter!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
Excellent job, Ian!  You and your daughter produced a real winner!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »
Excellent job, Ian!  You and your daughter produced a real winner!
Cheers,
Bud

I agree 100% with Bud! Your Daughter Looks like a real Sweetie!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gilly

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 01:16:15 AM »
An outstanding build and very well presented model Ian  8)