Author Topic: Model Airways Albatros D.Va - covering material?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Model Airways Albatros D.Va - covering material?
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
I have a 1/16 scale Model Airways Albatros d.Va model in my stash and am thinking about starting it soon.  It is intended to be an uncovered airframe model, but I am thinking about covering it.
My question is what covering material would be good to use.  Its a wooden frame, not styrene or urethane.  I have thought about Japanese tissue or silkspan and dope.
What other covering materials are worthy of consideration?

Also, what color would the wooden airframe have been?  A natural wood, or an orange/yellow tint from varnish or lacquer?

Thanks

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Model Airways Albatros D.Va - covering material?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
I have built a few guillows kits and I used the tissue with SIG dope. It turned out nice. I used other dopes and even white glue/water mixtures and the dig door made everything uniformly taught etc. I here silkspan is just a higher quality tissue like material it's not silk.lol. there is also a synthetic material made for covering aircraft intended to fly thats high quality. I would say make a mock up frame. Just a balsa rectangle with ribs every inch and make it long enuff to try a few things and experiment and see what techniques you like. Also i would search youtube for covering balsa airframes and you will be surprised at how many how to videos you find

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Model Airways Albatros D.Va - covering material?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:47:32 PM »
Thanks, Al
I have covered balsa frames with silkspan and dope before.  May just go that way.

Anyone know if the actual Albatros airframes were natural wood, or finished with varnish or something?