Author Topic: WTB 1/32 Pheon Sopwith Triplane decals  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Iancshippee

WTB 1/32 Pheon Sopwith Triplane decals
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
does anyone out there have a partial set of Pheon's sold out Sopwith Triplane set in 1/32? I have the WNW kit and I would like to model N5482, the colorful triplane "Maud" flown by Booker. I'm fine with an incomplete set as long as the markings for this aircraft are present.

Offline Trackpad

Re: WTB 1/32 Pheon Sopwith Triplane decals
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:16:38 AM »
does anyone out there have a partial set of Pheon's sold out Sopwith Triplane set in 1/32? I have the WNW kit and I would like to model N5482, the colorful triplane "Maud" flown by Booker. I'm fine with an incomplete set as long as the markings for this aircraft are present.

Hi,

I've just come across your post regarding the above-noted decals. It looks to me as if you need the colorful "zig-zag and roundel" decal, the "Maud" decal and the serial number. Presumably the kit roundels and other bits on the kit decal sheet will meet all other requirements. If so, I'll be happy to send you the three decals (zig-zag, Maud and serial) noted above if you still need or want them. If so, please send me your mailing address and the decals will be sent in a few days. For information, I'll be doing a Collishaw triplane, hence Maud is readily available to you.

Hope this helps!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 05:08:02 AM »
Hey there Trackpad... if you happen to have the serial and name (and any other bits unique to these aircraft) for Collishaw's Black Maria in particular, and Little's Blymp, I'd be delighted to exchange some cash to relieve you of them.

in fact I'd love to acquire the unique markings for the entire BLack FLight.

i'm late to the party and the WNW tripehound's too rich for my blood these days, but the Roden, with corrected fuselage, will do. Collishaw and Little are very high on my list of favs. and the Black Flight? well, the Black Flight.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
Gary, thank you, that's exactly what I need! I'll PM you my address. Much appreciated!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 01:26:01 AM »
Hi, Guys,

I've got both of your messages and I'll respond in detail ASAP. Today I'm up to here with plumbers and generator techs, so it might be tomorrow that I can post a response. And I'm supposed to be retired!  :o

More soon!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
Ian: I will send you the colorful "zig-zag and roundel" decal, the "Maud" decal and the serial number for Maud. That's the easy one as neither Jeff nor I will be building it.

Jeff: I can give you "Blymp" plus all of the Black Flight except Collishaw's N5492 "Black Maria," as that is the one I'll be building. However, according to the instruction booklet with Rowan's decals, Collishaw had three "Black Marias:" N4592 as noted above, N533, discussed below, and N5490 which he crashed at Droglandt on June 8th, 1917. He apparently did not accomplish too much on this a/c as he had taken it over a few days before he had his accident. That said, I'll send you the serial number for N5490 in case you want to build that a/c.

Now, I can send you the markings for Collishaw's N533 "Black Maria," but this a/c was one of six twin machine gun a/c and you will probably have quite a work load modifying the Roden triplane to take the two guns. I note in my WNW triplane instruction booklet that there are separate parts and fittings for this a/c (due to the two Vickers guns). I could send you the WNW parts but there is no guarantee that they would fit the Roden kit given, as you note, the differences in fuselages..

Ian: As Jeff is getting a fair number of decals for his build, you may wish to request some of the decals remaining on the sheet, less Collishaw's N5492. I'll only do Collishaw's a/c so no worries about being considered greedy, and I'd rather see them used as not. Let me know what you think!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:55:39 AM »
Gary, you are beyond generous! There are a couple others I am interested in, though the serials aren't fresh in my mind at the moment. I'm returning from chaperoning a school trip at the moment, but I will be home tonight and will check my Triplane Aces book to jog my memory! I'll reply soon. Do you want any reimbursement?

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
Hi, Ian and Jeff,

The penny finally dropped: if you don't have the decal sheet then you don't have the instruction manual or the beautiful drawings that Rowan provides as references. So, in addition to the decals I'll just have to copy them and send them along with the markings. I thought that he might have the drawings up on his website but those available just won't cut it.

I'm in the final stages of a function that takes place on Sunday and involves people, transport, a 50-year old monument and a cemetery in a live firing range on the local military base. All to say that I'm a bit pressed for time right now. I expect, however, that I can get your respective packages together and in the mail sometime next week. I hope that this meets with your approval, and I'll try to get them ready sooner if at all possible.

"Do you want any reimbursement?"  It's the old conundrum: "The sheet's out of production so the decals are rare and therefore valuable" versus "I'm only going to do one build so why shouldn't other plastic-bashers use them?" My solution is sort of midway between the two: I'm going to build just one kit from this sheet, so you two up-and-comers can share the remainder. As for remuneration, how about this: each of you put a $10.00 bill in an envelope and send it to me (I'll PM my addy to you both) only after you've seen the decals and are happy with them. If you're really happy with them I won't turn away a few more dollars, but that's your call. Oh, yeah: one more thing: you've both got to post photos of your completed triplanes on the Forum. Be great to see my/your decals in action!  ;D

So I'm going off to work up two decal packages for two WW1 Forumites whom I've never met in person but am happy to meet now electronically. Have a super weekend coming up, and I'll let you know when the packages are ready. Jeff, I haven't got your address yet, but no rush. Cheers, Both!   8)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:41:32 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 01:19:35 AM »
Thanks very much! Your stipulations are perfectly acceptable, I've been waiting to start this triplane until a set of the markings I wanted turned up, now it will work out nicely to start my first WNW kit as my favorite WW1 bird in my favorite markings, right after completing one in the same colors in 1/48! I'm very grateful!

I don't have any more 1/32 triplane kits on hand yet, but I will certainly amass more over time!   ;D  The other markings I'm interested in are Binky III N5449, Bouthillier's N5459, Dixie II, and the Prototype N500 in its original CDL. Oh the possibilities! There is no rush on sending them, I'm still working on the cockpit of my 1:48 tripe, so I have a ways to go yet.Good luck with the monument move! I just returned from a 3-day backpacking adventure with my 7th and 8th grade students, so I'm going to rest up a bit. Thank you again!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 02:48:36 AM »
Ian,

Got it. No worries. I got the printing of the instruction packages started last night so we're a bit ahead of the power curve. All I really need now is Jeff's postal address and we're good to go.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »
I've been offline a while, sorry. Grinding away, working long days, so I can hoard more WNW kits.

I'm definitely keen on the decals, and N5490 in particular. Apparently Collishaw racked up 14 kills in it. It's in fact my first choice. The idea of a Black Flight flightline diorama is magical. I think the Roden kit has the parts for N533. I may build that kite also, Collishaw's my favorite, aside from Udet (I read Udet's book as a kid, and rereading it now... he got me into WWI models. Twice.)

If you haven't scanned the drawings yet, and wouldn't mind scanning the serial for N5492 so i could one day hand cut a mask that would be an unbelievable added bonus, as I hope to one day build all of Collishaw's tripes and Camels.

and ten bucks just won't do. I must send you ten bucks plus postage. I live in Thailand, but if it's easier to send to the US I have a friend in the states who has earned the title of 'stash manager' I have so much stuff sent there.

I'm in no real hurry as I'm only recently back to modeling and have planned my builds like a school curriculum based on my assesment of the skills required, and aftermarket fuselages are an advanced class. But I'm 100 percent obsessed with the black flight. Enough so that I'm currently reading "Raymond Collishaw and the Black Flight," but I'm only just getting to where he was assigned to Naval 10.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
oops i just noticed that N5490 isn't on the sheet... So I'll be building N533! That's the one that Roden boxed but I've seen enough of Rowan's work to know Pheon's are going to be better.

If you wouldn't mind scanning the serial for N5492 I think i can fake an N5490 from that.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 11:49:41 PM »
PS I'm also interested in Stan Dallas' kite and the brown bread version of the prototype (i see the CDL one is spoken for). Ten Bucks is NOT enough... charge more please.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:39:37 PM by Jeff K »