Author Topic: Scratch built 1/72 Voisin III LAS  (Read 3967 times)

Offline lone modeller

Scratch built 1/72 Voisin III LAS
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:06:51 AM »
Evening All,

I have completed this build - the log is in the scratch build section if anyone who has not seen it before is interested. The original aircraft sat on the 4 wheels under the fuselage nacelle: mine, despite putting a large amount of lead weight in the nacelle, decided to sit on its rear after I had fitted the horizontal tail stabilizers. So I had to initiate Plan B which involved making a simple base and using superglue to change the model's attitude: it will not sit on its tail again for a long time.

Gabriel Voisin established the Appareils d'Aviation Les Freres Voisin in 1905 and worked for a short time with L. Bleriot and later with H. Farman to improve designs for early aircraft. In January 1908 H. Farman flew a Voisin design on a 1km closed circuit and won a significant prize for doing so. In 1912 he designed what was to become with some modifications and a 130hp Salmson-Canton-Unne engine, the Voisin III. These early machines were designated LA but on later production aircraft the engine was raised to improve the thrust and these were designated LAS.

The type entered service with the French armed forces in 1914 just before the outbreak of war, but due to a shortage of suitable designs the British also ordered them for the RFC and the RNAS. The first machines were bought form France and entered service with the RFC in February 1915. 50 were ordered from companies in Britain and these were largely supplied to the RNAS where they operated in the Agean, Basra in Iraq, and in East Africa where they were used against the forces of von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Other countries which operated the type included Russia (which also built them under licence), Belgium, Italy, Romania and one which was interned in Switzerland. The type was so successful that it remained in service until the end of the war, although in the later years it was used for night bombing only.

The model represents an aircraft from No 2 Wing, Imbros, (a dried salt lake bed), RNAS December 1915.

The model is scratch built with a kit engine kindly given to me by Epeeman and modified, Eduard wire wheels at the front, and an Aeroclub Lewis gun. It is rigged with rolled 40 SWG copper wire. The booms were made from florists wire because I do not wish them to bend: on reflection I should have made 2 from plastic rod to try to reduce the weight at the rear. I put that mistake down to a learning experience. Markings were hand painted except for the serial which came from a Pegasus numerals sheet. I also cribbed ideas from Des' superb 1/32 scale build log.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Scratch built 1/72 Voisin III LAS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »
She turned out spectacularly, Stephen!  Outstanding work all 'round.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:42:13 AM »
Hi Stephen, loved your build log and the final outcome of this beautiful subject.  Thanks again for sharing.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:00:07 AM »
to change the model's attitude

I have trouble with them too - sometimes they are just plain stubborn

Your Voisin is a little beauty!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Old Man

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:57:46 AM »
Wonderful project, Sir, and brought home the highest of style!

You have made a wonderful little model of a very important type. These Voisins were a major element of the French air service, and of the Italian. I do like your choice of subject, though --- I have a soft spot for the out of the limelight employments of aeroplanes at this time, and for the R.N.A.S. particularly.

Plastic booms would have been too heavy, too --- I had to weight my 'Steel Farman' pretty thoroughly, and even so, it just barely balances forward (and tips back if a truck goes by...). I think it is the weight of the tail surfaces, on the long end of a lever with its fulcrum at the rear axle.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 05:17:55 AM »
    As always, Stephen, a real treat to follow your progress and a wonderful model to drool over in the end result! I have to ask, how many of these Scratch Built beauties do you have in your collection? I hope they are prominently displayed as well, all that you've shared here are truly "winners"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous, certainly one of your best. And the others are not shabby either......

Ian

Offline steveb

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
Very nice! I enjoyed your build log.

Steve

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:01:33 AM »
Wonderful    historical monument of the "flying car"! Due to the location of the four wheels it looks to me like a car with wings, very unique and nice model!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ondra

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
Great job, Stephen, the build log was pure pleasure to follow and the result is a real stunner!

Congrats on finishing this beauty!

Ondra

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
My thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left such encouraging remarks. This was a subject which had been on my list for some time but because of the front spoked wheels and apparent fragility I had hesitated to start. In the end it was pretty straightforward, except for having to drill so many holes in the fuselage.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 03:47:36 AM »
I have to ask, how many of these Scratch Built beauties do you have in your collection? I hope they are prominently displayed as well, all that you've shared here are truly "winners"!
Cheers,
Lance

Lance,

I have a total of 10 scratch builds and another 6 pusher conversions from kits (Airfix DH 4 and Avro 504). All of them except one (the MF 7 Longhorn) are in a cabinet which I bought to put them in and keep the dust off! The Farman is an a specially constructed perspex display box. I have to write that after I embarked on scratch building I found that I no longer have any enthusiasm to build kits, but I really do enjoy following the build logs of others, especially on this site where the standard is so universally high.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 03:50:23 AM »
Wonderful    historical monument of the "flying car"! Due to the location of the four wheels it looks to me like a car with wings, very unique and nice model!

Cheers,
Frank

Another modeller on another site called it the "flying supermarket trolley"….. I can see both points of view. It is certainly different, even by WW1 aircraft standards! Nonetheless it was also a very successful design - a testimony to the skill of Henri Farman.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 03:20:00 AM »
    As always, Stephen, a real treat to follow your progress and a wonderful model to drool over in the end result! I have to ask, how many of these Scratch Built beauties do you have in your collection? I hope they are prominently displayed as well, all that you've shared here are truly "winners"!
Cheers,
Lance

I agree with Lance! As always I too found your build a joy to follow. Outstanding results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
A scratch built Voisin??? A wow! Great to see it completed. Congratulations, Stephen.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.