Author Topic: Osterkamp's Bumblebee E.V  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Osterkamp's Bumblebee E.V
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi Gents

Opinion time! ;) What are the general thoughts on Theo Osterkamp's Fokker E.V. I'm working on Eduard's 1/48 Fokker E.V weekend edition and I've decided to keep somewhat to the spirit of the boxing and keep it as simple as possible, that means no lozenge and probably only a pair of Gaspatch 1/48 Spandaus. From what I have been able to glean of the internet it is most likely that the Bumblebee scheme is most probably conjectural to downright fantasy. It seems that kit manufacturers (all of which love this scheme!) have simply been copying a replica Fokker E.V that flew in the 1980's that the owners painted up based on Osterkamp's description of his Fokker DVII. There does not appear to be any photographic evidence that any of the two Fokker E.Vs that were delivered to MFJII were painted up in such a way. There is a picture of Osterkamp sitting on the wheel of 156/18 which appears to be in factory colours. Osterkamp also bailed out of a Fokker E.V whilst on a familiarization flight. Then of course there was the grounding due to the wing failures and Osterkamp's apparent dislike of the monoplane as well. All this is seeming to point to fact that there never was a monoplane marked in such a way. Does anyone know of any pictures that can prove this scheme correct? Not that I'm too worried, I will probably do the scheme with some modifications and pass it off as a 'what if' scheme. From what I learned the cowling should be yellow not black so I will do it this way just for something a little different :) While on the subject does anyone know of any pictures of Osterkamp's DVII? Sachenberg's checkerboard DVII and E.V do have photographic evidence to support them but there seems to be only Osterkamp's description for his kites.

Regards
Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD 

Offline Syd Solo

Re: Osterkamp's Bumblebee E.V
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »
Dave
I have scoured all my resources on the E.V/D.VII and Osterkamp and have found nothing that confirms this "bumblebee" scheme was ever pictured or mentioned by anyone except in words by Osterkamp, himself.
This scheme seems to have been perpetuated by model companies, authors, illustrators and artists for a long time, but no one has ever referenced a photograph, to my knowledge.
Still, it is most attractive and not improbable. It makes a good speculative scheme.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:55:55 AM »
Hi Syd

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that the scheme, whilst not improbable, more than likely didn't exist. Had the E.Vs not been grounded or MFJII received the DV.III it is quite possible that Osterkamp would've had his painted up accordingly. It is interesting that Sachsenberg did have his E.V painted though, in the photos the cowl looks dark but that could be the 'ortho' film making the yellow appear dark. In the close up you can just make out the black checks on the fuselage, it certainly makes for a striking scheme. So I've decided to go with my interpretation of an Osterkamp bumblebee scheme but basing it along the lines of Sachsenberg's E.V. A yellow cowling instead of the black or factory olive thereby shifting the stripes. I'll probably keep the gun deck olive, it's hard to tell from the photo of Sachsenberg's E.V whether the checks were painted all over but most interpretations seem to keep the gun deck in factory olive.

Kind Regards
Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
Just thought I'd put these up for consideration as well

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »
Dave, I like your thinking about the possibility of a yellow cowl. Why not? These old orthochromatic film pics apparently show yellow as a dark shade, hence the speculation about Voss F.1 (I notice you opened the can of worms on that one in another post. That's tantamount to poking the bear, your know). I await your E.V with interest.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Dave, I do apologise about accusing you of opening the can of worms about the Voss F.1. It was (yet) another Dave from Queensland.
I am actually a Dave, too, (ssshhh, just our secret) but not from Queensland. I hail from the other side of this wide brown land.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
Dave, I do apologise about accusing you of opening the can of worms about the Voss F.1. It was (yet) another Dave from Queensland.
I am actually a Dave, too, (ssshhh, just our secret) but not from Queensland. I hail from the other side of this wide brown land.

Cheers

Syd

Haha, no worries Syd (or should I say Dave?) Us Aussie Daves have gotta stick together! It was a interesting thread the 'other' Dave opened up (can of worms indeed!) In that case I tend to fall on the olive cowling side of the fence simply because McCudden goes to the trouble of descibing a 'silvery' finish on Voss's tripe yet seemingly fails to omit something as obvious as a bright yellow cowling? I'm yet to be convinced, though that being said, looking again at the photos of Sachsenberg's E.V even with ortho film than cowling looks pretty dark and the white (face) on yellow wouldn't show up very well, damn this is difficult  :o They say when you dig yourself into hole the best thing to do is stop digging! I think I'll stick to first principles, MF Geschwader orders were aircraft were painted with yellow noses and tails.

Kind Regards
Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline pustota

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »
Pustota
I tip my hat to you, sir. Marvellous job.
There you are, Dave, that should get you motivated to get on with Osterkamp's bumblebee.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
I've noticed that someone else seems interested in Osterkamp's Bumblebee! http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8808.0
pustota, your interpretation of Sachenberg's checkerboard Fokker looks fantastic. I only hope I can do Osterkamp's Fokker as beautifully as yours. Unfortunately I'm a slow builder with a hefty dose of AMS, maybe Eduard should've renamed it a long weekend edition for me ::) I need to make time to get to my modelling desk and stop procrastinating. I do love the research though! That's what makes WWI aviation so interesting for me.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD