Author Topic: Wonder Woman (spoiler alert re aircraft!)  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Wonder Woman (spoiler alert re aircraft!)
« on: June 07, 2017, 06:14:50 AM »
Went to see Wonder Woman today which you probably know is set during WWI. No, I'm not going to go into the plot - I'd just say that I was well entertained; although I know nothing of the character from the comics, and can't remember the old television series that well, I have to say that I was highly impressed that they have been able to make a respectable film on the basis of, let's face it, one of the more bizarre superheroes.

I simply want to talk about the aeroplanes. Movies are always problematic, aren't they, when they reference a subject you know something about. I knew from the trailers that some of our beloved aircraft would feature, so I braced myself for a pleasurable nitpick. First, we see a Fokker monoplane crash into the sea, after apparently flying well beyond its limited range. It's also carrying bombs. We see more of them in a busy airfield scene, where I believe I spotted a Sopwith Strutter. Perhaps it was a captured machine, never mind.

But...
I was happy with all of that, until the bomber appeared. What bomber was this, you ask? You may well ask. To me, it looked vaguely like a Forssmann Giant, the first R-plane built by SSW, but given a hefty dose of whatever The Incredible Hulk is on. It's of metal construction and in truth it looked more authentic to 1920s technology, eg. with its radial engines. In the story, the plane is prepared to deliver a devastating weapon to drop on London.

My outrage - totally manufactured in order to whip up some argument here on the forum - derives from the fact that in reality the Germans had an even bigger bomber available, which they did indeed use to drop heavy ordnance on London. I would say that the R.VI looked just as imposing and dramatic as the cobbled up machine in the film. So, when a perfectly good and historically accurate aircraft type is there ready to be used by the film makers, why invent one???

A penny for your thoughts, if you've seen the film!

Mark

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Wonder Woman (spoiler alert re aircraft!)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:26:42 AM »

Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
Ah, thanks... re what I thought was a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, that's an Avro 504 isn't it? I think?

Mark

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
Ah, thanks... re what I thought was a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, that's an Avro 504 isn't it? I think?

Mark

Absolutely. Inter-wheel skid and vertical cabane struts prove it.  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
A couple of German-marked 504s, several (apparently scaled) Eindeckers, and in the final battle you could see a DR.I and Sopwith Triplane...as well as more Eindeckers. As often seen on German airfields in the days leading up to the Armistice  :o At least when Captain Trevor (Chris Pine's character in the photos) took the already-running Eindecker you could see it had a rotary! I was wondering how that would look but they nailed it.

A thoroughly enjoyable movie, but the Big Bad Bomber made me wince a bit...as did the fact the Big Bad German was a high-ranking officer named Ludendorff! But my wife and I enjoyed it immensely.
Zac in NZ