Author Topic: Mercedes D.IIIa generator option  (Read 1491 times)

Offline davec

Mercedes D.IIIa generator option
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:54:45 AM »
I'm building the Wingnuts Pfalz D.XII.  It has a Mercedes D.IIIa engine, and the instructions give options for building the engine with or without a generator (use of parts E36 & E43 vs E8 alone; 
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3043&cat=4 instructions page 5 image at bottom of second column). 

The instructions don't provide any guidance as to when the generator is appropriate.  I am building option B- Pfalz D.XII 1445/18 from Jasta 49 in 1918.  Other wingnut kit instructions for planes that had the same engine (including the Pfalz D.IIIa) don't suggest the generator.

Any ideas which would be correct for this plane?

Thanks!

Dave

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Mercedes D.IIIa generator option
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:06:05 AM »
Presumably for aeroplanes with some kind of electrical equipment. I can't see anything electrical on the sprues

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:14:58 AM »
Dave,
     All of the information I searched seemed to indicate that the generator wasn't commonly installed. I did 2695/18 from the Pheon Sheet and left it off. That's a very subjective approach I know, but I'd suggest leaving it off is a pretty safe bet. Your choice of subject was my second preference, I'm looking forward to seeing your Build. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline davec

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 05:01:06 AM »
Lance and Richard,

Many thanks! 

No electrical equipment = no need for generator - brilliant.

I wasn't aware that Pheon had a decal set.  Looks like there are some interesting alternatives. The paint on the one you picked is beyond my current skills.  I'm returning to plastic after about 25 years, having scratch built wooden ships in the interim. 

I appreciate the help.  I hadn't initially planned to do a build log as my skills are so far behind what is posted here, but it is probably time for me to do an introductory post and build log as I have been visiting the site frequently.  I head out for a business trip and will put one together on my return.

Best,

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
Dave,
    The only short coming of the Pheon Sheet is it's difficult to choose from all the schemes, it's a real beauty. Do a Build Log, it's great to share your work and I find it inspires me to do better. If you have an airbrush the "2695" scheme is not difficult and, in my view, very attractive.

Cheers,
Lance