Author Topic: My First WNW: the RFC Pup  (Read 13603 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
My First WNW: the RFC Pup
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
I've been going through a really rough patch financially. My wife had to leave her job late last year due to health issues and, while she's had some part time stuff, we're really hard up. As in I'm selling my car to help pay hers off and so we have a cushion for bills/food.

Anyway.

I caught up with an old friend at a recent airshow and we got talking about models. He's moved onto bigger stuff - has an Airdrome Aeroplanes Fokker Eindecker coming together in his garage and flies a DH.89a for passengers at weekends - but was interested to hear my views on Wingnut Wings kits. I sang their praises and he asked how many I've built - none, due to aforementioned issues. Jump forward to couple of weeks ago when a WNW Pup kit turns up at my door with a touching, encouraging letter from him enclosed.

Unfortunately I only had half the colours required, so I did what I could while I waited for some more paint to arrive (sold my wargaming figures to finance a couple of treat models, some paint and power bills). Now everything's here except the rigging material - due today or tomorrow - so it's well underway.

I followed the paint callouts in the instructions - handy as Tamiya's all I use - but I'm not 100% satisfied. Does anyone have advice on how the "Steel" parts should be painted? XF-56 just looks too close to X-10 for my tastes.

I hope to assemble the cockpit this weekend. Any hints/tips greatly appreciated!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: My First WNW: the RFC Pup
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:38 AM »
   One of my favorite paints is Mr. Metal Color #213 "Stainless" which I use for Steel parts. It's lacquer based and hard to get here in Canada however it being made in Japan I suspect may be more easily available in NZ. Highly recommended. I hope your fortunes change for the better, and your friend is indeed that!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »
Sorry to hear of the issues you and your wife are facing at present, I hope the situation improves for you soon.

A agree with Lance, the Mr Metal Color Stainless 213 is a brilliant paint to replicate steel, it can be buffed to quite a nice shine if required, I use it to paint all of my rigging lines. Looking forward to seeing more updates on of your build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »
Thanks gents, I'll keep an eye out for that! EDIT - the Australian online store I use carries Mr Metal Colour, so that is a big help! It's not much more expensive than the Tamiya acrylics I normally get.

As hoped, the rigging thread arrived moments ago - a roll of black Fine EZ-Line and a roll of flat knitting-in elastic. I'm excited to give it a go!

Adam's all about looking on the bright side and seeking out the positives and it's an incredibly infectious attitude. Luckily my wife has been able to find some work but we have a way to go. The Pup project is a welcome distraction.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:13:01 AM by KiwiZac »

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »
Actually I find the XF-56 a very good base paint for engines. I have used it many times on 1/48 Eduard engines as build mostly 1/48 and use Tamiya a lot.
What I do is a airbrused layer of xf-56 followed by a wash with pure black or half black/half burnt sienna oil paint and then a highlight (drybrush) with pure silver or silver with a bit of burnt sienna. You get a very nice wheatered engine this way.
Good luck and have fun with the Pup, I have build it and it is a brilliant kit.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Great start KiwiZac, I wish you good luck with your financial troubles... I also follow your builld log on BTS

Antonio

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 02:39:27 AM »
Nice start and best wishes for your future.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
Thanks for your kind words, gents!

Not much to report except that late yesterday I rigged the first bay of the starboard cockpit wall:

It's a big learning curve (for example: when hungry and cold your hand shakes!) and I now know that CA accelerator would be a big help. I'm sure that the more I do, the better my system will be.

Annoyingly when trimming the sprue gates I cut off one of the tabs on this piece (you can just see the remnant I left on there, at lower right) and both on the port side. That made for a very frustrating moment, but I don't think it'll be a major problem.

I'll replicate turnbuckles with paint rather than buying or building anything - for my first time I'd like to keep it relatively simple.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 08:24:35 PM »
Hi KiwiZac
Your posts make me worried for you - shaking due to cold and hunger? - that's not good mate. I hope you get that worked out and things get better soon. Sincere best wishes.

The Pup work looks really great and it is heartening to hear that someone passed the kit forward to you.

I reckon you are spot on with paint for turnbuckles - it is what WNW recommend and is more correct for scale in my opinion. After market parts do enhance kits and I've fallen for them in the past but man do they add up in cost.

The simplest CA accelerator is plain water. I found that out by an unfortunate accident - it is dangerously effective at the job and saves you buying any other stuff. A wee dab of water and bingo it sets. Don't use a brush to do it as it will set into the glue as well  :( . You now might guess the mess I got into during this discovery...

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
Thanks Alistair, the water tip is a great one! I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your concern. Things are very hard right now but surely can only get better.

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »
That is really nice to see, what details are possible due to size of the parts, compared to my 1/48 Pup. That is really a good start!

But the way this model reaches your door is really impressive - this friend helped you in a really fantastic way!
I wish you some recreational hours with your Pup project, so that you gain a lot of power to help your wife and to overcome the actual situation!

All the best for your wife and you,
Bughunter

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »
Hello,
I 'd like to join in: Very nice start on the Pup and all the best for getting quickly through these problematic times.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, it was a totally unexpected act of kindness that gave me an amazing morale boost.

Unfortunately I had issues with rigging on Monday and fell ill, but was able to finish the sidewall stringing-up yesterday afternoon. I had many problems rigging from the inside corner for some bays so ended up gluing the thread to the outer face of each side. Once I've painted the turnbuckles etc I'll share a pic or two.

A question: where do I run the elevator and rudder cables once they're on the stick/rudder bar? The instructions give no indication of where the other end should go, and photos available online haven't helped much. Any advice on this?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 05:14:30 AM »
I am joining in a bit late but I will add a very well done here, especially on the wood tones.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »
Thank you! Up until now my wood painting work has been a few propellers and a single Albatros fuselage, all in 1/72, so it's gratifying to have the experts I look up to provide feedback. I just printed out the Wingnut Wings sheet and was lucky to track down some oils (our local shops aren't that great).

I also have a 1/28 Fokker Triplane which has been on-off for a while and a 1/48 one, I may start threads for those this weekend.