Author Topic: WNW camel decall woes.  (Read 2806 times)

Offline drdave

WNW camel decall woes.
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:35:52 AM »
Hmmm I'm no beginner with WNW, but I'm working on a Clerget Camel and all the wing roundels have shattered on application, despite resorting to spares from the USAS and le Rhone kits. So I've cobbled 4 poor splintered roundels out of 12....and now I've none left for the other two.I've never had this problem before in about 25 WNW builds. Anyone else? Hobby room looks like a roundel massacre!
Expect an email, WingNuts.

Offline petrov27

Re: WNW camel decall woes.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
wow thats odd and surprising! I am only far enough to apply the instrument decals (they went on fine) with my build of the USAS Camel but certainly will speak up if my roundels also are junk....

Hopefully WNW will square you away with a replacement sheet!
-Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:15:07 AM »
I have only seen a few built but no one has mentioned this issue to my knowledge. The fact that you have multiple kits with similar issues does sound as though there was a problem with the decal batches.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
Hi Dave,

Funnily enough I had a top wing roundel 'crack' - touched up as best I could ould but still noticeable  ???

Guy
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:42:25 AM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline drdave

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
I used warm water too.

Offline maddog

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
Bad luck Dave, I had the same problem with the Hellenic roundels for the DH9 a little while back. A replacement set was sent from WnW after I let them know but these were the same. Very frustrating.

Offline drdave

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »
It's not even like they're old and brittle? I've had the same issue with a pheon set once and Rowan said he'd had to replace some because they hadn't had a coat of plasticiser. I wonder if it's the same issue?
I'm waiting to see what Rowan has for us with his camel sets before I do the others in the stash.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
It's not even like they're old and brittle? I've had the same issue with a pheon set once and Rowan said he'd had to replace some because they hadn't had a coat of plasticiser. I wonder if it's the same issue?
I'm waiting to see what Rowan has for us with his camel sets before I do the others in the stash.

Not so much a coat of plasticiser, just that the ink supplier had decided to completely omit any plasticiser from the ink formula, without bothering to tell the printer. Not terribly helpful!

I've just received my Camel kits, so design work and subject selections are now proceeding. News as we progress!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Devo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »
I feel your frustration,

My upper and lower wing roundels cracked in various places on my WNW 2F1 Ships Camel... :o
Stop....what's that sound.....everybody look what's going down...