Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43260 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »
Yes Lance! A very delicate work from you. The Fuselage and the wing look amazing and all the tiny details make a real gem out of this "Ugly Duckling"
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »
Excellent work, Lance.
It's always a pleasure seeing your next update and this one is no different ;-)

Well done.

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline aliluke

« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2017, 06:10:07 PM »
Big WOW from me too. Those cowling locking nuts are seriously cool. But...I've promised to myself not to buy upgrades anymore. Only use found items and everything in the box - otherwise the costs to make go utterly mad!

And, yet, once again I'm tempted.  ;)

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »
Great to see you in the final stages of this terrific build Lance! All is looking up to your usual standards. I Don't know how you feel but if/when I finish mine it will be one of my favorite Models as it took so much to bring it to life!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
    Thanks Mark, it does lend itself to a little dressing up.
    Manni, great analogy; it is a bit of a plain Kit but does produce a good looking model with a little care and attention.
    Thank you von B, I always look forward to and appreciate your comments.
    Alistair, the Taurus Cowl nuts are a really great deal as you can probably do up six models given the number provided. Probably half that number for me as I lost several, they are about as small a subject as I've ever worked with!
    Rick, I agree, the more effort required the more appreciated the results, and this little gem has been no exception to this point!
    Thanks all, for commenting, more to follow soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:43 PM »
The tiredness is visible from your words, Lance, but not from the pictures of your modelling. You are bringing that beast to a very appealing end and the struggles you had are not visible from that beautiful model.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »
Thank you Andreas. I hope I'm not complaining too loudly, under all my whining are many hours of enjoying the challenges this Kit offers. Once I decided to add brass to the structure and rebuild the strut array I worried that it wouldn't pass the accuracy test in the end. Other then reversing the connection /support arrangement of the upper and lower struts which isn't all that apparent in my view it thankfully worked out very well. This Kit is not for the beginner but for the vast majority of our members would provide a great modelling experience, unique but solvable obstacles, and in the end a nice replica of a beautiful subject.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2017, 04:36:22 AM »
in the end a nice replica of a beautiful subject.
Lance, can't say it better!
Still flashed everytime, when I look at your pictures, by the fabric on the fuselage. It does not look like a decal, it's fabric!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2017, 04:49:42 AM »
I am just pleased that this did NOT end on the shelf of doom because it would have been a tragedy if it had. Your skills as an expert modeller are really well displayed here Lance: you attention to every tiny detail takes this model from the very good to the excellent class.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
Frank and Stephen,
   Thanks for checking in and for you very nice comments, much appreciated and encouraging!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline xmald

« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »
Just stunning work Lance! This is a true beauty! I like the way you painted the controversial wing camouflage.
Best regards
Filip

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
Beautiful work, Lance. What a fine job you are making of this!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »
Filip, Nigel,
   Thank you both! I hope to do the last update later today, it's almost complete. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »
   This should be the last update on this Build. I've completed all of the outstanding items mentioned in my last one with the exception of a little bit of weathering.
     The Aileron control wires have been installed in the wing, the definition in the machro photo reminding me to touch up the final clear satin overcoat on the touch up coloured areas as here!

Next the flight control wires were rigged using Modelkasten elastic thread.

Next step was to add the engine, hand carved prop, and cowling.

The last item was to scratch up a cowling retainer cable with fittings. Jamos photos of the TVAL Replicas on the Site here served as references. I used salvaged electrical wire and some eyelets made with Nickle Alloy wire with brackets made of some spare PE fittings. I have no idea what that fur ball is in the photo and haven't seen it since, hopefully it's not stuck to the model! Here's the brackets before they were cut from the PE part:

and here it is installed:

I must admit I'm relieved it's completed, the wing struts worried me a lot and were difficult however it's now very securely done and I was pleased with the fit for my first attempt at the black art of soldering! Tomorrow I will add a small amount of weathering and get some photos for the Completed Models Thread. Now I think I'll take Wonder Dog for a long walk and have a cold beer before dinner, been a long haul on this one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline boggie

« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
Hi Lance.  :)

I have very much enjoyed following your build and am

eagerly awaiting your completed pics.

One question if I may;

Are you sure 1 beer will be enough?   ;D