Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43256 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »
I have been scoping those decals out for some time as I did pop for the MIR kit as well.  Not sure I want to tackle it yet so I will watch as you and Rick work through the builds and advance any pitfalls that may occur during the process.  The DVIII/EV has always been an evocative and enigmatic airframe for me and it's neat that it is out in 1/32nd scale.  Now with PHEON to the rescue "Modeling excitement" can now run wild as the fun meter keeps pegging to the right of zero.   ;)
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »
Yes Mark, that Modelling fun meter is all aquiver! I am looking forward to getting back to this Build; the slow pace of the Camel cockpit completion coupled with the continuous lawn and yard requirements are presently an obstacle to timely progression at the work bench. Slow and steady will win the race hopefully!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 05:51:42 AM »
Great looking decals Lance, hopefully mine are jetting my way, the jig looks very good and should make life a lot easier.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:49 PM »
Just got mine yesterday and they are truly amazing!!! Now its day thirty waiting for the the kit...........

Steve

Offline jamieg

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2017, 01:30:53 AM »
>Just got mine yesterday and they are truly amazing!!! Now its day thirty waiting for the the kit...........<

Who did you order from? I got mine from a shop in the Ukraine via ebay. I ordered it Sunday night and it was in my hands on the following Friday. I think you should be making a fuss at this point.

Jamie

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2017, 03:35:26 AM »
>Just got mine yesterday and they are truly amazing!!! Now its day thirty waiting for the the kit...........<

Who did you order from? I got mine from a shop in the Ukraine via ebay. I ordered it Sunday night and it was in my hands on the following Friday. I think you should be making a fuss at this point.

Jamie

Probably the same place as I ordered mine from:

www.Plastic-Models-Store.com

IIRC it arrived in a little over two weeks. Also with a personal note of thanks and a souvenir One (something) bill of Ukrainian money. No complaints about the service from me!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2017, 03:38:33 AM »
What's this Lance, a jig!!!! Hve you not learned from my example with paint pots, card, tweezers etc and whatever else comes to hand or mind?

Stephen (von Jigmeister)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2017, 03:50:13 AM »
Stephen,
    The Ukrainian Bill isn't quite thick enough to serve as card stock material for a Jig however should I come up short on the Pheon Jig for this Build that I've started to assemble I'll keep it handy. I confess to using the items you've mentioned more then occasionally but never considered using currency! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2017, 04:14:50 AM »

Jamie

Probably the same place as I ordered mine from:

www.Plastic-Models-Store.com

IIRC it arrived in a little over two weeks. Also with a personal note of thanks and a souvenir One (something) bill of Ukrainian money. No complaints about the service from me!
Cheers,
Lance

Same Here except I got a coin.
RAGIII
PS: If you can a tutorial on assembling the jig using the supplied stick on patterns would be a benefit to people like me  ::)
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
   I'll post some "in progress" photos and comments for sure Rick. I couldn't get to the Bench today but am in the midst of cutting the various components, hope to finish them up tomorrow.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
Got the kit from Scale-Model-Kits in the Ukraine. Big operation with a 99.9% feedback on E bay. I have filed a request for resolution. There was something about a "postal hacker" in their response to a negative feedback from someone.

Steve

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2017, 01:16:13 AM »
  With the arrival of the Pheon Decal Set for this model I've shifted my efforts back here from the LeRhone Camel Build I worked on in the interim. The decals are now complete; they are up to the usual high standard of Rowan's line with only a very small bit of trimming for the fuselage band at the bottoms. The Aviattic Lozenge wheel sections need a tiny bit of touch up paint.

I had intended to use the added (longer) cowling decal from the set however forgot and used the original which fit very well in my view, especially with the added black stripe on the rim of the cowling. The face portion was "halved" for ease of application, the separate bottom lips were trimmed once set and worked nicely as well with a bit of Micro Sol.

The fuselage markings went on easily over several coats of Future on the Lozenge.

................. and the wing:

Next in line was building the Landing Gear and Wing Attachment Jigs supplied as part of the Decal package. I used plastic faced cardboard sign board sheet for the bases and cut the small supports from foam core plastic sheet board of approximately  5mm thickness. The "peel and stick" templates worked well and a little careful work with a #11 blade ensured accuracy. I used 2 part 5 Minute Epoxy to assemble the jigs, they appear to be great little aids in getting this beast together!
..........Cutting out...........

The two assembled Jigs.............

and finally the fuselage "posed' in the Landing Gear Jig. Beautiful fit I must say! Kudos to Rowan from Pheon, magnificent markings and decal quality and the Jigs are pure genius!

Now it's decision time; I'm going to try soldering up brass "Strutz" Landing Gear assemblies and, if successful, will attempt the wing strut assemblies as well. I guess learning to solder should be considered step one in the process!?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:18 AM »
Excellent work with the decals, Lance!  Those Pheon decals really are amazing, aren't they.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2017, 04:36:03 AM »
Very nice, Lance. You and Rick are doing great jobs in building the Fokker E. V. This will be another burner.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2017, 04:49:23 AM »
Thanks for looking and commenting Bud and Andreas. Although delicate you certainly can't beat those Pheon Decals!
Cheers,
Lance