Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43732 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 03:18:49 AM »
     Another small but timely update, the inclement weather here has provided a welcome break in domestic tasks and much modelling bench time!
     The lower nose compartment panel frame and door were shaped from Evergreen Sheet Styrene of slightly different thickness and installed. That popped seam was re-glued as well.

The fasteners are 1mm "Vector Cut" nuts, slightly over scale however I think they'll blend in nicely with the application of the paint.

I got the stick grip and throttle cable installed with less hassle then anticipated to complete the cockpit detailing. The Kit stick grip is nicely molded although the removal of considerable flash was a delicate operation. The warped longeron will be hidden when the upper deck nose cowling is added.

As normal, with the upper cowling (posed here) completing the close up most of the cockpit detail regrettably disappears. As the photo shows the fit of the upper cowling will require yet more "adjusting"!

I'll be adding a PE line of stitching to the fuselage bottom much later; next the Oberursel Ur2 from the Wingnut Wings LeRhone 9J Sprue and the complete closing of the fuselage with the upper deck and firewall.
    Comments or suggestions are most welcome!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:24:22 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
The lower panel and door turned out very well and the cockpit looks excellent, pity a good proportion of it will be hidden though, looking really good Lance.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
Thanks Des, your endorsements are always welcome and encouraging. As we all have remarked many times concerning hidden details, at least we know they are there!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2017, 03:04:35 AM »
Lance,
Your mods and corrections look great! My EV is also awaiting the release of Pheons Dec als pre ordered when announced. So.. I started the Mikro Mir kit since 5 or 6 models going wasn't enough  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2017, 03:16:57 AM »
    Thanks for your comment, Rick. I'm eying a WNW Camel presently as this one gets closer to being shifted to the back of the line awaiting the markings I also pre-ordered. I'm thinking ahead to mounting the wing, not going to be a breeze from what I see at this point! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
Hi Lance,
 You may consider using a medium viscosity CA glue for nailing the upper deck and any seam lines. Add a small amount of dark pigment power to the glue, thus making it easier to see during the sanding process. This method works beautifully on seam lines  ;)

Good luck!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »
    Thanks for your comment, Rick. I'm eying a WNW Camel presently as this one gets closer to being shifted to the back of the line awaiting the markings I also pre-ordered. I'm thinking ahead to mounting the wing, not going to be a breeze from what I see at this point! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

I am not as afraid of Mounting the wing as I am keeping it on once it is there  :-X
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:38 PM »
Hi Lance,
 You may consider using a medium viscosity CA glue for nailing the upper deck and any seam lines. Add a small amount of dark pigment power to the glue, thus making it easier to see during the sanding process. This method works beautifully on seam lines  ;)

Good luck!

vB

Von B,
    I've used the CA filler method on the fuselage seams and you are correct, it's a great treatment for seam lines. In the case of the upper cowling it actually overlaps the join with the fuselage proper (Jamo's photos illustrate it well), it's not a flush seam so I'll be adding a bit of overlap to the cowling using very thin sheet styrene, at least that's the plan, what could go wrong.........
    As for the wing, Rick, I hope to bolster the struts as it's a pretty flimsy assembly as presented. Keeping it together will indeed be a challenge.
    More to follow.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Great stuff Lance

I still had some issues even when using CA but that's probably just me!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
    Thanks Guy. I still have to remind myself that the CA is harder then the plastic and sand carefully to avoid a ridge replacing the trough!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »
That cockpit looks real! The addition of the nose panel was also extremely well done. This is going to be another of your memorable models Lance.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 03:26:09 AM »
    Thanks for your very generous comments, Stephen. Unfortunately the nice weather has returned and progress is again at a snail's pace!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »
    Thanks Guy. I still have to remind myself that the CA is harder then the plastic and sand carefully to avoid a ridge replacing the trough!
Cheers,
Lance

True but when using slow drying CA glue mixed whit talk powder avoids this problem, keep in mind that when you fill with green putty that it will shrink over time! I have used it on my Goth GV and one year later the seam came back so I stopped using solvent based putty's never had the problem again so far.

Ron

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Fine modelling, all around Lance!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »
Ron,
   Thanks for the hint, I must try that!
Prze,
   Your comments are most welcome as always, thank you!
Cheers,
Lance