Author Topic: Back to models: HMS Monmouth Combrig 1/700  (Read 3992 times)

Offline GrahamB

Back to models: HMS Monmouth Combrig 1/700
« on: May 14, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Might throw this in to add some more WW1 ship variety. This is the very fine Combrig 1/700 kit of the ill-fated HMS Monmouth, a County-class armoured cruiser that was sunk with all hands at the Battle of Coronel, 1 November 1914 by the German Ostasiengeschwader. Her sister ship, HMS Kent, was in on the revenge at the Battle of the Falklands a month later, 8 December 1914.

Many additions to the kit, including ash-truck tracks, coal-scuttle hatches, extra detailing on boats, soldered-brass masts and yards and rigging from de-stranded Easyline (to single threads - the brown variety makes great rope signal halyards for this scale) and Caenis thread.

I dedicated it to the nine or so old boys from my school - Royal Hospital School - who died on her (but about 120 lost at Jutland). Won a Best Ship in Show last year at the NZ Scale Models show in Upper Hutt, Wellington.
Cheers
GrahamB

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:41:04 AM by GrahamB »

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Back to models: HMS Monmouth Combrig 1/700
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
Looks great Graham! Interesting looking ship.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
Very cool, Graham!  Congratulations on the award.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Russell

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »
An very impressive model. I've got thus kit & you have to hold the basic (very small) hull in your hand to truly appreciate just how good the detailing is. Excellent.

Regards
Russell

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
Beautifully done Graham, an impressive looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
I can only echo all the comments above.  Beautifully done, congrats.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »

HMS Monmouth, a County-class armoured cruiser

Wasn't she the first of the Monmouth class cruisers? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Monmouth_(1901)

County class came between the wars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County-class_cruiser

I'm reading about Gallipoli at the moment, so RN ships are a bit of an interest just now

Whatever class, she's a beautiful model of the kind of ship that developed before WW1.  The great war seems to have showed up the defects in all of these innovative, if flawed types of vessel

Good work!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:45:37 AM »
Lovely Graham,

I have a hankering to do a ship at some point. Great inspiration.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »
Thanks guys.

It was quite an effort and a I nearly went blind fixing the rigging after my trained spider walked off the job.

Wasn't she the first of the Monmouth class cruisers? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Monmouth_(1901)

Yes, I was being a bit casual with this, because all the class were named after counties. Flawed they were, largely because of the arrangement of the armament, some of it wasted in near-useless casements low on the hull - a similar affliction suffered by HMS Good Hope at the same battle (and she also under-gunned with main armament for its colossal size). Still, they gave sterling war service and had their successes.

The naval aspect of the initiating and supporting the Gallipoli campaign is also very much underplayed, especially by the OZ/NZ crowd/authors and the amazing success of the final evacuation by the Royal Navy scarcely mentioned here let alone acknowledged or praised (Heaven Forbid! ;)).
Cheers
GrahamB
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:02:23 AM by GrahamB »

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »
<snip>

The naval aspect of the initiating and supporting the Gallipoli campaign is also very much underplayed, especially by the OZ/NZ crowd/authors and the amazing success of the final evacuation by the Royal Navy scarcely mentioned here let alone acknowledged or praised (Heaven Forbid!).
Cheers
GrahamB

As is the air campaign for that matter. As I'm modelling an aeroplane that operated out of Mudros at the time, I'm reading around the subject

Casements were the in-thing until it was realised how much better turrets were. Even tanks got this wrong at the start  ;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 02:15:10 AM »
Magnificent, Graham. I just love these Great War warships, even the ill-fated Monmouth.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Old Man

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 04:17:16 AM »
That's a great model, Sir!

Really something to see.

The pre-dreadnought vessels are fascinating, the armor-cruiser types especially so.