Author Topic: 'Yellow Wing' Monoplanes...  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Old Man

'Yellow Wing' Monoplanes...
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:02:02 AM »
These I built over the last year.

This is an A-17 of the 74th Attack Squadron at Panama circa 1938. Kit is by MPM, in a boxing now OOP, and is of course in 1/72. Exhaust port is scratch-built, canopy framing is foil strips, painted.

This is a YB-10 operating on Air Mail Route 18 from Oakland, California during April and May of 1934, when the Air Corps was pressed into service for the Post Office. It is quite a story but a bit much to go into here. Kit is an old Williams Brothers B-10B  offering (in 1/72 of course), with old MicroScale decals, supplemented a bit. Conversion to YB-10 required new exhaust outlets and air-scoops. Kit clear pieces were used --- they need LOTS of work. Framing is strips of painted decal film. Pictures were taken with a light box wife got me for Valentines; I like it a lot....

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: 'Yellow Wing' Monoplanes...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:01:22 AM »
As you say, they do need lots of work and the quality of your build shows your obvious modeling skills !

Ed
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:50:37 AM by dr 1 ace »
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:05:24 AM »
Two very nice looking models Old Man, the "Yellow Wing" range of models certainly paint up to be very attractive models.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
 Old Man,
Outstanding pair of Yellow Wings my old friend. I'm most impressed with what you did with the William's Brothers Martin YB-10. Perfectly prove what a skilled modeler can do with a less than ideal kit. Well Done and Congratulations.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
Beautiful models, OM, I love that colourful era of aviation history and these two beauties really bring it out well! The colours on that A-17 say it all!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Old Man

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
Glad you liked them, Gentlemen.

It took me a while to get back into the modeling saddle, and I started with at least seemingly easier items. After the Williams Brothers kit, I may have to stop saying I don't have much practice or experience with clear parts....

But it is good to be back to open cockpits or, as with 'El Sonora', no real cockpit at all.

Offline Joe Hegedus

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:05:30 AM »
Very nice! 

Question about the A-17; you said painted foil strips for the canopy frames?  I assume you painted the strips before applying them - what is the technique to paint the strips and not have the paint flake off when you apply it?  It sounds like a very useful method.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
Great Models!

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
Beautiful models!  I tried tackling the Williams Brothers kit when it was first released and gave up after a long battle.  Thanks for posting these.

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »
As you say, they do needs lots of work and the quality of your build shows your obvious modeling skills !

Ed

I agree with my Amigo completely! Lovely models!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 01:43:13 AM »
Very nicely done, you have two beauties on your hands (no pun intended).   ;D

Offline Old Man

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:39 AM »
Thanks again, guys. Apart from the Great War, this is one of my chief modeling interests.

A lot of my fun in doing the YB-10 was putting together the story of the great 'Air Mail Scandal' of '34. Here is a link (I hope an off-site link is not a problem) to a posting with some detail on the matter --- you may find it an entertaining read....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/thread/1490980288

To Mr. Hegedus:

The foil was painted after being applied to the canopy. I had some trouble 'blending' the canopy piece, and had obliterated some framing, so I wanted to restore with something that would stand proud on its own. I had some prepared foil to hand from a previous build, so I used that, as its 'silver' interior would match the aluminum lacquer finish of the cockpits. I always do frames free-hand. It would probably have been easier to do decal film strips, painted twice (once for interior color, once for exterior color), but I did not at the time have any decent silver paint.

Offline Joe Hegedus

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »

To Mr. Hegedus:

The foil was painted after being applied to the canopy. I had some trouble 'blending' the canopy piece, and had obliterated some framing, so I wanted to restore with something that would stand proud on its own. I had some prepared foil to hand from a previous build, so I used that, as its 'silver' interior would match the aluminum lacquer finish of the cockpits. I always do frames free-hand. It would probably have been easier to do decal film strips, painted twice (once for interior color, once for exterior color), but I did not at the time have any decent silver paint.

Thank you. Knowing you did the painting free hand makes the result that much more impressive!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 05:38:44 AM »
Wonderful models OM. Those 1930's aircraft were certainly very colourful.

Stephen.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
Yes, nice and colourful. I have a soft spot for yellow wings.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.