Author Topic: Albatross triple set coming from WNW  (Read 12643 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Albatross triple set coming from WNW
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 12:25:17 PM »
An idea for these releases would be to form a local group - 3 people (in this case) who couldn't afford or even have time to build the trilogy but wanted to build at least 1. Do the same for the duelists sets. Buy the kit and then distribute the parts - a group build! Nothing dodgy about this.

I'd be in for that for the Albatross set with any two others on this forum in New Zealand where I live. We'd have to choose our preferred schemes and then maybe draw straws for the favourites but you get a sold out kit for about what it originally cost...Any takers?

Cheers
Alistair

Yep count me in Alistair.
Lets keep in touch. Two months to wait
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline aliluke

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
Good one James - I'm in Wellington too so that's easy!

And no current preference for a colour scheme. They all look good to me.

Cheers
Alistair
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:15:28 PM by aliluke »
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »
this is fantastic news. my jaw dropped so far i think it damaged the floor when i saw it. i've been hoping for an Albatros reissue, but more importantly it demonstrates a commitment and approach on their part to keep reboxing the aircraft that sell out.

i'm desperately hoping next multiboxing is Black Flight tripes. Even if i build the Roden tripehound by then, i'm in.

PS regarding that group build idea: in the unlikely event anyone else is based in Thailand i'd be interested...

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
Makes you wonder what could be next....a British triple set maybe ? RE8, DH2, Tripe,.........anyone ?

I would snap up a RNAS Sopwith set. Pup, Tripe & Camel. So quick the shop would not even have it inventoried yet!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »
Although not my cup of tea, I think a Black Flight Tripe trilogy would be something they might consider. I would never have thought this before the release of the Albatros Trilogy!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rob_Owens

Re: Albatros triple set coming from WNW
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »
Three Jasta 5 schemes, yet not ONE set (really should be three!) of decals for the unit marking (the red empennage edging)??? :'( Must Pheon do everything?? ;)

Offline petrov27

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »
yeah - I was wondering about that too - the red edging - but that seems like it would be a difficult decal to apply? I have a FCM decal set that contains a Jasta 5 subject which contains some pre-cut masks for the tail edges - my intent is to go that route assuming they fit well and I should be able to make additional sets via my Silhouette cutter
-Patrick

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
Three Jasta 5 schemes, yet not ONE set (really should be three!) of decals for the unit marking (the red empennage edging)??? :'( Must Pheon do everything?? ;)
Having not downloaded the instructions yet, I don't know how Wingnut Wings suggests the red edging be applied, but I see that as a very minor nit when one considers that they are offering three of the most iconic WWI aircraft, and likely one of Wingnut Wings's best kits in one box at such a reasonable price. I will certainly get one and happily build all three.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
Having not downloaded the instructions yet, I don't know how Wingnut Wings suggests the red edging be applied, but I see that as a very minor nit when one considers that they are offering three of the most iconic WWI aircraft, and likely one of Wingnut Wings's best kits in one box at such a reasonable price. I will certainly get one and happily build all three.

Albatros D.V surely is an iconic WW1 aircraft. However, I must disagree with the opinion that it is one of WNW's best kits. I do not mean to say it is a bad kit. But it is one of the earliest and as such does not meet the standard, that many, if not all their later releases, represent. In my opinion, when compared to other single seaters from WNW, it lacks some important touches - the most important problem is no imitation of nail heads on the fuselage. See for instance how finely done is the fuselage of their Roland D.VIs. Also the frequently reported problem of intrplane struts "banana bending" has to be taken into account.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »

I guess this might be something we are expected to paint? 

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »
Yes, the instructions call for painting by the builder, but without ready masks, this will be a tough row to hoe. Pheon Decals sheets 32016, 32017, and 32017a (perhaps 32017a will now see a re-print :)) all include the red edging, so it wouldn't have been impossible for WnW to provide them. I doubt applying decals would be more difficult than masking & painting.

Offline Russell

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 01:55:51 AM »
Yes, the instructions call for painting by the builder, but without ready masks, this will be a tough row to hoe. Pheon Decals sheets 32016, 32017, and 32017a (perhaps 32017a will now see a re-print :)) all include the red edging, so it wouldn't have been impossible for WnW to provide them. I doubt applying decals would be more difficult than masking & painting.

Having done both methods in similar applications I'd much prefer to mask & paint. It's not difficult when the very narrow tape is used.

Regards
Russell

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 04:09:29 AM »
Yes, I'm with Russell,
I think it is easy to paint, just made it with my Floh. I took 1mm flexible tape from an airbrush artist shop. I like this method more than using decals for such delicate shapes.
manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
I have not painted Jasta 5:red rims. But from my experience with PC10 returned to the bottom of wings and stabilisers - I find it easier to airbrush the interior, mask it and then airbrush the rim. Before any assembly, when the parts are free to manipulate I use them to draw the outline of the surface on a paper. Then I draw the line inside the shape. Later this template is used to prepare the masks from ordinary Tamiya masking tape. You only have to be careful, that you get a mirror image of the shape. But it is not a problem with Jasta 5 tail as you need the masks for both sides.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
I would also agree that painting is the best way to go. Decals can be rather fussy.

Also, I have inspected many period photos of Albatross D.v series and have failed to notice any lines of nails along the wood panels. I have seen models with that feature and there may have been aircraft so constructed but I think lines of nails are not obvious on most Albatros D.V and D.Va planes.

I had no issues with the interplane struts on my D.Va kit. Was this an issue for others?
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.