Author Topic: Yellow Wings F4B-4 U.S.S. Lexington - VB-4  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Yellow Wings F4B-4 U.S.S. Lexington - VB-4
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:09:31 AM »
Following closely on the heels of Lance's gorgeous F4B-4, I thought I'd post images of mine. Lance, MGunns and myself had a bit of a Yellow Wings group build with Lance and I each building the Hasegawa 1/32 kit while MGunns did his magic with the Aurora 1/48 offering. My humble effort cost both of those fellows more than a few gray hairs as I pestered the heck out of them with a series of never ending questions along the way. The only additions I made to the basic kit were a scratchbuilt cockpit, Airscale instrument decals, heavy gauge EZ Line for the wing bracing, and monofilament, eyelets and brass tubing for the tail assembly control lines and aerials. I also drooped(?) the elevators. The paint is Tamiya and the decals are aftermarket ones from Yellow Wings Decals. I may yet add some subtle weathering to it. This was so much fun that I went out and bought the Curtiss BF2C-1.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:35:22 AM by Chris Johnson »
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

guitarlute101

Re: Yellow Wings F4B-4 U.S.S. Lexington - VB-4
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19:23 AM »
Very, very nice Chris!

Mark

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:21 AM »
Beautiful Chris, I just love those yellow wing A/C.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:51:14 AM »
Absolutely lovely Chris! Your skills always show through!  Like the others I love the schemes from the Yellow Wings Era. I would love to see injected molded kits vs the pricy resin stuff for the British between the wars aircraft like the Siskin, Grebe, Gauntlet etc. There are some awesome colorful schemes used on those birds too!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
Absolutely lovely Chris! Your skills always show through!  Like the others I love the schemes from the Yellow Wings Era. I would love to see injected molded kits vs the pricy resin stuff for the British between the wars aircraft like the Siskin, Grebe, Gauntlet etc. There are some awesome colorful schemes used on those birds too!
RAGIII

Ditto my Amigo's comments on the build AND on some more IM kits for between the wars "Yellow Wings".   Still a mystery to me that no one has done an IM kit of the Hughes H-1 in 1/32 or the Spirit of St. Louis.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:43 AM »
Beautiful job. Always have a soft spot for the U.S. Navy between the war aircraft.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 05:09:19 AM »
Gorgeous model. Beautifully finished.

Stephen.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
     She does the "Canadian Mafia" proud Chris! The colour just doesn't stop, and you've done a fantastic job on the finishing. Along with Mark as part of the Group I enjoyed this mini Group Build and a break from wood, turnbuckles, and less "flashy" subjects. Hang onto that Curtiss, I'll join you for round 2 if I can find one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »
Absolutely superb Chris, your painting skills are exceptional, a very colourful and attractive looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
Thanks for all of your kind words fellows. I also wish that there were more Yellow Wings and British inter-war aircraft in plastic. It seems like an untapped resource for a plastic kit maker out there somewhere.

Lance: You didn't have enough of me first time around, eh? You find the Curtiss kit and we'll definitely do it all over again.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
 Chris,
Long time no see my old friend. Absolutely beautiful F4B-4 Chris. Well Done and congratulations.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: I've been know to give you a hardtime about being a Treadhead in the past. I can't do this again as I've begun building armor as well. Nothing finished as of yet but I do have a M3 Grant uderway along with a Canadian Leopard and a Renault just to stay in the WWI vane. Have you considered the Vector engine for your future BF2C-1? There're a beauty to behold.
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
Gregory,

Long time no see my old friend. Absolutely beautiful F4B-4 Chris. Well Done and congratulations.

Thanks for dropping by Gregory. I keep getting bogged down with my military models, even though I have the best of intentions to build some aircraft.

PS: I've been know to give you a hardtime about being a Treadhead in the past. I can't do this again as I've begun building armor as well.

Good for you! There are some excellent painting and weathering effects in armour modelling that are slowly creeping into the aircraft field. If nothing else, the armour stuff will be a good platform for experimentation on what will work and what won't work for your aircraft.

Nothing finished as of yet but I do have a M3 Grant uderway along with a Canadian Leopard and a Renault just to stay in the WWI vane. Have you considered the Vector engine for your future BF2C-1? There're a beauty to behold.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep it in mind as I suspect the engine in the BF2C-1 won't be any better than this one when it comes to detail.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 04:31:39 AM »
Hi Chris - just caught up to this build. Gorgeous work you've done here. Thanks so much for sharing. Such a striking scheme and beautifully photographed.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 05:03:40 AM »
Hi Chris - just caught up to this build. Gorgeous work you've done here. Thanks so much for sharing. Such a striking scheme and beautifully photographed.
Cheers,
Gary

Thanks for your kind words Gary. On the other hand, the judges at the Torcan show last weekend weren't impressed with it at all, as it didn't even place. Good impetus to buckle down and try harder! A 1/48 Copper State Dauphin by Tony Bell justifiably won 1st place and rightfully so. This Yellow Wing wasn't even in the same ballpark.  :P

Cheers,

Chris

Offline boggie

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
Your model is definately in our ball park Chris!  :)

A big thumbs up!

I look forward to the "Canadian Mafia" part 2 

cheers  :)