Author Topic: WNW Fokker E.I Early 5/15  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

WNW Fokker E.I Early 5/15
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
Finally after about 18 months I have cracked open a WWI kit again.  This time I chose the WNW E.1 and option B, as it looks uncomplicated both in building and painting.

Haven't taken box pics so may amend the post once I start photographing the build.  In just 2 evening sessions I have cut out all the internal cockpit components, and studied the rigging diagram etc.

Should start to paint and glue this week.  This is my first 1:32 Eindecker so will be experimenting a bit with the cowling swirls.  That's if I can restore my collection of drying up paints!!

guitarlute101

Re: WNW Fokker E.I Early 5/15
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
Sounds great Ian, looking forward to your build!

Mark

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Thanks Mark,

not much to report on yet, well no pics to add anyway!

I'm preparing all the cockpit parts, painting before assembly and pre-rigging the control stick etc.  I dry assembled to check for tolerance issues, including the fuselage halves.  It seems the critical parts will be the width of the fuel tank and rear bulkhead, to side frame assemblies.  The rest fits inside.

I painted the floor and other wooden parts using a quick woodgrain technique of using a variety of brown shades thinly brushed in the same direction, but I was not happy with the result so I stripped the parts and went back to the oil paint technique.. The parts (and the prop) are now in the cupboard until the weekend for the oils to dry.

I am trying to keep this one simple and clean - not going for the heavy oil stained look seen on eindeckers, will do that next time!

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
Hi Ian, only recently I stumbeled across the Fokker E.I and like the version you selected for your build the most, too. So I'll be following your build eagerly, looking foreward to seeing your Fokker grow..
Ronny Bar has some beautiful profiles of the E.I here: https://m.facebook.com/pg/RONNY-BAR-Aircraft-Profiles-166538664131/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10154605183049132

Richard

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
Hi Richard,

I have been away from WWI modelling for well over a year, so am looking for a relatively quick and straightforward build, going at a couple of hours a session 3 or 4 times a week.

One of those sessions was spent colour matching from the pots of paint I have with the colourschemes in the WNW instructions, as I don't have the range of paints they refer to.  I might not be 100% accurate but I am happy with what I have got.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 01:29:12 AM »
As always I am looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
As my forum me might suggest, I am somewhat partial to Eindeckers. I too have the early kit so I'm going to be following along.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 08:56:04 PM »
As my forum me might suggest, I am somewhat partial to Eindeckers. I too have the early kit so I'm going to be following along.

I am by no means as educated in WWI aircraft as many are on here, but I would pick the Eindecker as my favourite.  Possibly because of the simplicity of the monoplane design as much as anything else.

I'm not planning to do much else with this one, I want it to be relatively quick to get going again.  I have the Windsock book, and might go into more detail when I do the E.II/E.III..

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »
So much for a quick build.!!

Dipped in and out of modelling over the time since I started this one, for all kinds of reasons.  This is one of 3 unfinished projects but  I started up again recently.

Painted the metalwork with experimental swirl technique - using a plastic pointer to scrape swirls into the paint!  I rigged and assembled the undercarriage.  I’ve rushed this a bit to get back into the swing of things, but it isn’t my best work.  Even so, I’m happy enough.  Shame I got some dust on the prop during varnishing.  If it wasn’t for the decals I would sand it off and re do.  Prop sitting only for the pic.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »
I’ve made eyelets for the wings so will paint them and glue in then assemble the wings to the fuselage.  I need to paint the rigging lines on the u/c..

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 08:58:53 PM »
Good to see you Up and running with this one again Ian! Looking Terrific.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
Looks great, Ian!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »
Looking really good Ian  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 03:45:19 AM »
Nice start, and the subject is a nice, early bird. Following.
Ciao
Giuseppe

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
Thank you for the comments folks.!

I’m almost done with this one, apart from a few components like the cabana and the gun etc, this has mostly been an assembly of what I had made some time ago, and the rigging of course.  Problem is I just want to finish this one, so there’s a few uneven paint touch ups, no turn buckles etc, small errors left uncorrected that sort of thing.

I lost the pulley on the cabane to the carpet monster - it broke off during rigging as I had weakened by drilling a hole for the lines to run through.  I found a spare part on a sprue of similar diameter (approx 2mm) so fashioned a “pulley” shape but with no details, painted and attached the rigging then glued to the cabane.  Looks ok at a distance but less so up close. 

I have another eindecker in my stash so may do that one next and remember the lessons learned from this one.