Author Topic: Help with WNW Snipe Rigging  (Read 1803 times)

Offline rolanddvi

Help with WNW Snipe Rigging
« on: May 07, 2017, 06:08:50 AM »
Hi to everyone,

I am currently working on a WNW Snipe and am at the stage to start rigging. My question, I don't think, is so much about the Snipe but here goes. What would be the best way to do the rigging? Would it be best to attach the lines to the bottom wing and then finish when the top wing has been secured? Or would it be better to do the opposite? I have rigged planes but because of the size used mostly pre cut lengths of stretched sprue or wire. On the Snipe I will use monofilament with Bob's Buckles. Any help or comments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline aliluke

Re: Help with WNW Snipe Rigging
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
Hi Mike
I'm working on the same plane and just about to start rigging too - though I realise your question is a few weeks old... My plan is to pre-rig the upper wing and then place on the struts fixed to the lower wing and then fix the rigging to the lower wing. I think this is advised on the WNW website? It certainly seems to be the strategy by others here.

To save you another detail and complication - the Snipe did not have turnbuckles and it would be inaccurate to add them. Plenty of photos show their absence.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:46:07 AM »
Thanks Alistair. I think that is how i'm going to ring mine also. I saw the post about no turnbuckles on the Snipe. So i'm back to looking at photos and any reference I can find. Have to have a look at the DF also to see if I can figure it out.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline aliluke

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
Hi Mike
If you have a look at the Rigging for Everyone topic here you'll get some really good advice - I did being new to WW1 rigging myself. Bo - who should be very trusted in all matters! - confirms the Snipe had no turnbuckles - page three in the thread I think. I have also seen a full scale Snipe in the flesh and he is correct.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.