Author Topic: Decal advice needed  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Cimmerian

Decal advice needed
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
I started building another Eduard 1/48 Albatros. It was all going well until I made the mistake of letting my daughter pick the colour scheme. She made her choice and now I face the lozenge decals on the wings. What is the preferred method of putting this on? Is it best to do it in one lump or should I consider cutting it into sections and matching it up on the model?

I find both options a bit un-nerving.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Decal advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
that depands on so many factors....
first question, do you plan to use the Eduard lozenge or are you going with a after-market set?
is that set or the Eduard shaped to fit or are they lozenge bolts you have to trim?
are they the clear kind that demands a light under colour or the solid kind that can be used with a darker colour?

I will start with option 1, Eduard decals. they are not bad, and shaped for the wing. paint the wing a solid, dark colour to hide mistakes, gloss varnish off course and apply acourding to instuctions. Be shure to cote them with gloss or semi gloss when they are dry before doing the other side to protect the decals.

If you use after-market, system is roughly the same, you can use the Eduard as a template to cut your own and do a whole wing section at a time or cut bolts to size and work slowly as you go along.

either way, be sure togloss cote and work slowly, make sure one side is completely dry for several days before dong the other side

Offline Cimmerian

Re: Decal advice needed
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
I was planning on using the Eduard ones as their decals are usually pretty good. I guess I'd better order a few buckets of patience to help with this.

Cheers
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”