Author Topic: Help with Eindecker engine cowling  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Bluesman

Help with Eindecker engine cowling
« on: April 24, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
I am going to be starting a Revell 1/72 scale Eindecker. From the pictures I have located online, the cowling seems to be mottled. Were they made from galvanized sheet metal, or was this effect due to some other reason, like paint? I don't have an airbrush yet, but can anyone give me some tips on how to recreate the mottling effect? Any help would be appreciated!

Sam

Offline Borsos

Re: Help with Eindecker engine cowling
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
Good morning Sam,
the strange way the metal Fokker cowling looks is just due the certain polishing procedure at the factory. It is best replicated by painting the cowling in a solid shiny silver color and then adding small irregular squiggles in a contrasting color like silver mixed with a little bit of white using a very fine brush. At least I don't know any other method to replicate that.
Is there a special reason why you go with the Revell Eindecker? It is by far the oldest 1/72 kit of that airplane and I could imagine that you'd be a lot happier with the eduard kit or the brand new Airfix offering.
Best wishes for your project!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ondra

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:29:16 PM »
As far as my understanding goes, the procedure on the cowling was meant to achieve the contrary effect from polishing - it was meant to reduce the reflections from the shiny metal.

For 1/72 I could imagine a very fine brush, as Borsos said, or mottling with very fine sponge. Polishable metalizers should be the right choice for this, so you can reduce the contrast afterwards by slight polishing.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »
I would imagine the effect could be chieved with a silver ink pen, too.
Honor Necessity

Offline Bluesman

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
Good morning Sam,
the strange way the metal Fokker cowling looks is just due the certain polishing procedure at the factory. It is best replicated by painting the cowling in a solid shiny silver color and then adding small irregular squiggles in a contrasting color like silver mixed with a little bit of white using a very fine brush. At least I don't know any other method to replicate that.
Is there a special reason why you go with the Revell Eindecker? It is by far the oldest 1/72 kit of that airplane and I could imagine that you'd be a lot happier with the eduard kit or the brand new Airfix offering.
Best wishes for your project!
Borsos

Mainly because I build 1/72 and it was cheap. I try to get the most kits for my money so I stay in budget. I'd love to build some WnW in 1/48, but cash is in short supply right now.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »
That's plausible of course. But the Eduard and Airfix offerings are also 1/72 and at least the Airfix kit is a very cheap one too
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/fokker-eii-late-1-72.html
Nothing against Revell, but this kit is ages old. Just my two cents, I saw pretty builds of the Revell Kit too...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
Hi Sam WnW has a "Hints & Tips" section and one of the hints covers this topic:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/hintsandtips

Hope this helps, Juan

Offline Bluesman

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:34 PM »
Hi Sam WnW has a "Hints & Tips" section and one of the hints covers this topic:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/hintsandtips

Hope this helps, Juan

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:29 AM »
The "squiggles" were the result of hand applying an anti-corrosive paste to the metal at Fokker's factory. See Josef Scott's outstanding Fokker Compendium volumes. A soft pencil over a matte aluminum gives good results.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
The "squiggles" were the result of hand applying an anti-corrosive paste to the metal at Fokker's factory. See Josef Scott's outstanding Fokker Compendium volumes. A soft pencil over a matte aluminum gives good results.

Is this a soft silver artist's pencil you refer to?
Honor Necessity

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
No, I used a regular graphite pencil.  A #2 I believe.

Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Russell

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »

An anti-corrosive paste? Is the reference to that in the second volume, I couldn't find it in the first book which is the only one I have (I need to get the second book at some point).

I wonder why they should firstly apply a paste when paint would do the job & secondly apply a paste in such a pattern?

Like many other modellers I assumed the pattern was due to lightly running an abrasive wheel over the metal - variations of such treatment were common on aluminium panels - particularly in car engine bays at the time & for years later.

Regards
Russell