Author Topic: Another double build: Sopwith Pup (HR Models) and Triplane (Revell), 1:72  (Read 23924 times)

Offline RAGIII

Outstanding work Ian! Your fuselage corrections are amazing. I like your simple but effective technique for the wood. As always your build is great to follow for inspirational ideas!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bluesman

I just started my Triplane. I wish I would have seen this thread before! My build will mostly be out of the box, I have the devil's own time trying to fill in either injector marks.

Offline ALBATROS1234

looking ab fab.especially that tripe. years back i got one of those because i couldnt source a 1/48 eduard one. well when i got it home and opened the box it appeared that the fuselage had been chewed up by a small dog. looking at your parts out of the box before modification i guess they all looked that way. you are doing a superb job fixing her up my friend.

Offline Borsos

well when i got it home and opened the box it appeared that the fuselage had been chewed up by a small dog. looking at your parts out of the box before modification i guess they all looked that way.
What a perfectly fitting description  ;D

I totally agree: Awesome work on this old dog toy. Your energy in bringing old kits up to today's standards is really admirable.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline IanB

Thanks to all for the feedback, it is much appreciated! This certainly is a little of a "dog's dinner" of a kit, but that, to me, is half the fun!

I have been a little distracted by the good weather and getting work done in the garden, but I have made some progress, mainly on the rear end of the Triplane....

First I had to make the tail surfaces. I copied the plans, cut out the tail parts, and drew around them on .020" sheet. They were cut out, then carefully sanded to the exact shapes required with constant reference to the original plans....

The horizontal stabiliser now fits nicely between the rear lip of the turtle deck and the tailpost....

The next step was to correct a couple of small details on the rear fuselage. The Triplane has a quite distinctive tail arrangement, with a small lip in front of the tailplane, bringing the turtledecking up level with it. The front of the tailplane also sits on a small deck, and has adjustment at the rear for the pilot to set the angle of incidence. To achieve this, I added two small fillets of .020" x .030" strip to the sides of the fuselage, then filled them in with PPP. A small strip of .010" card was added just aft of the turtledeck for the front of the tailplane to sit on. A little more PPP to blend it all in and this is what I have now.....

This is how the tail will sit....

After drilling the tailplane and fin, and adding a couple of pieces of .016" brass rod, a quick trial fit showed that the fuselage was actually a tiny bit short. I removed the tailpost and added a couple of drops of CA to the rear of the upper and lower fuselage. When that was set, I replaced the tailpost. Another dry fit shows that it is now in the right place.

As a result of moving the tailpost aft I now have to add a thin strip to the rear of the tailplane. I had though it looked a little narrow, and this explains why. I will trim a strip off the elevators and reglue it to the stabiliser, to move the join between the two pieces back to the correct place. I will also need to move the rear fin mount very slightly aft. Nothing too major, but it needs to be done to get it looking right.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:25:05 AM by IanB »

Offline dr 1 ace

well when i got it home and opened the box it appeared that the fuselage had been chewed up by a small dog. looking at your parts out of the box before modification i guess they all looked that way.
What a perfectly fitting description  ;D

I totally agree: Awesome work on this old dog toy. Your energy in bringing old kits up to today's standards is really admirable.
Borsos

Big ditto, tremendous work.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lone modeller

Your attention to detail as exemplified in this tail unit is just amazing. Brilliant work - and another of your gems on the way.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

Awesome work overall and the scratchbuilt tail feathers are amazing.
RAGIII

Offline IanB

Thanks gents!

Not much to show in pics, but further progress has been made over the last couple of days.  The elevators on both have been removed from the stabilisers and joined together with a piece of .016" brass rod. They can now be attached as one piece, ensuring the same "angle of dangle" on both sides. Here's the pair from the Triplane...

Attention was then turned to the Pup tail, and the rudder was separated from the fin. The fin just didn't look right, despite being very close to the plans, so I added a strip of .020x.020" to the rear edge, and sanded down the top to lower it, with constant reference and trial fitting to make sure the rudder length matched the total height of the fitted fin and fuselage. A brass rod pin was then added at the front to give a better, more secure fit.

More work was done on the cowlings, and the holes under the Triplane cowling were measured, marked and drilled out, along with opening up the Pup's cowling.....

I did take pics of the process on the Tripe, but once again, my phone seems to have eaten the pics! Basically, they were marked out in pencil, drilled out with a small bit, then enlarged, until I was able to remove what was left between the holes with a new no.11 scalpel blade and clean up the openings with a larger drill bit used as a reamer, and the scalpel blade.

Finally, all the holes were drilled in the wings and fuselage for the Pup's struts

I think the next step will be drilling the rigging holes, before starting with painting the undersides.....

Ian

Offline RAGIII

You are Modeling Machine Ian! Beautiful detail work!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

Thanks Rick, I just get a lot of time off work, so that helps!

Another fruitful afternoon with not a lot to show.... however all the rigging holes have now been drilled in the Triplane.
 I promised a "how-to" guide on another forum, so I will go into a little more detail than usual here to hopefully give a guide to those just entering the WWI modelling scene......this is, however, only MY way of doing it, not the ONLY way, so feel free to adapt it to your own needs!

I started with the centre wing. The problem here being that I need to get a straight run for the flying and landing wires through the centre wing, but only have the plans and measurements from them to do it.......hoping that when the wings are in place they will match exactly! Obviously this requires careful measurement for both drilling the holes and mounting the wings. Using the Datafile plans, photos and pics from the WnW website, and pics I took myself at the RAF Museum, I worked out that the landing wires pass through almost exactly halfway between the struts - (that should be pretty straightforward to assume as the gaps between the wings are the same), and since they attach to the wing at the centre of the struts, both top and bottom, they should be drilled level with the centre points of the cabane and wing struts where they pass through the centre wing - a straight pencil line was therefore drawn to mark that point . The bracing wires from the fuselage attach to the rear spar, which also forms the front edge of the centre cutout, and the mounting point for the ailerons, so it was easy enough to pencil in a line between the two,giving me my first reference point, and they are in line with the flying and landing wires, (fore and aft), giving me my second.

The hardest part now done, I continued with the rest of the fuselage attachment points. Care is needed, double check your references and compare from different angles......the rear bracing wires for the centre wing attach to the upper and lower fuselage longerons at the same place (fore/aft) so once one had been marked, the others had to match...check the marks by lining up a straight edge on them and making sure the straight edge is parallel to the trailing edge of the wing - if it isn't, adjust the marks to make it so before drilling the holes.

One other very useful tool for marking rigging holes is a set of dividers These will ensure that distances are equal, especially in this scale - it is almost impossible to accurately measure with a ruler - which side of the line is 2mm....left, right, or on it? Use the dividers and make a small indent in the plastic where the holes need to be - they will be the same distance apart, and you will have a guide for the drill bit to sit in when you start drilling. You can also make sure that the lines will be positioned correctly just by sight, by placing the dividers equally either side of the fuselage centre line..

That's it for today, I hope the info is useful to those who need a little "push" to get them into rigging!

Ian

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Ian I like very much your log here, and the work you are doing on both these kits. I knew the Revell and its issues, but never heard about the HRModels Pup, it looks good indeed ...

Antonio

Offline lone modeller

Very good work Ian and the notes on rigging are most helpful. This is a truly interesting thread.

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Nice progress!

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Big thumbs up Ian ! 8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .