Author Topic: Making struts from brass and looking for vise recommendations  (Read 1564 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
I've got a heavy duty shear that I can use to chop brass for struts. Once the struts are cut I want to file the front and backs.  Thinking the best way to do this is in a jewelers vice where I can hold the strut and file back and forth.  Anyone use this method?

Any recommendations on a vice that will hold a small piece of brass?

Thanks
Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Making struts from brass and looking for vise recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:50:06 AM »
most people smash brass tubing after inserting a bit of steel rod in the end. i would think it would be easier to sand an oval(smashed tube) that a piece a rectangle brass stock but it could work. there is a tool called the strutter made by rb i think which mounts in your vice and smashed it to the correct profile and i may be wrong but i think i remember bo messing around with one(strut tool) that he may be selling .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
I do have the strutter from albion alloys and it's really a good tool for smashing round brass rod with steel wire inserted.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
I believe that Bo also makes a 'strut smasher' in 1/32 scale for the Fokker D.VII, which may interest you (see post in 'The Hobby Shop/Flugzeugwerke' section of the forum http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6886.0)
Woof!