Author Topic: Wingnuts Interview  (Read 7605 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Wingnuts Interview
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
It seems to me that the "Basics" have not changed from his interview years ago except that the number of proposed missing kits is now 20.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
Is the entire interview available somewhere in the world wide web?

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
I think you'd have to buy the magazine download.

He also said some of the figures would be in the Special Edition kits (along with extensive photoetch) and some would be available as a stand alone boxing.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »

"Reasserting that if a good kit is available they won't do it - cites the Dr.1 as an example (apologies to Dr.1 fans  :-[ )"

Really? I'm not convinced.
This would seem to contradict the fact  that WNW has released kits previously released by Roden, i.e Sopwith Triplane, SE5a, and DH-2.
They were all of a good standard, better than the Dr.I, IMO.

Cheers
Syd

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
Yes, with regards to the Camel he went on to say...

"After many years of requests and then carefully reviewing the available 1/32 Camels we relented and decided this most important aircraft deserved our attention after all"

So maybe the Fokker isn't dead in the water after all  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline petrov27

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 05:57:40 AM »
"Reasserting that if a good kit is available they won't do it - cites the Dr.1 as an example (apologies to Dr.1 fans  :-[ )"
Really? I'm not convinced.
This would seem to contradict the fact  that WNW has released kits previously released by Roden, i.e Sopwith Triplane, SE5a, and DH-2.
They were all of a good standard, better than the Dr.I, IMO.

I believe that WNW had the DH2, SE5a and Tripe in progress prior to Roden announcing theirs. My interpretation is Roden rushed theirs to market when WNW showed up out of nowhere and announced their line of kits. WNW likely decided not to cancel their kits since they had already had them underway.

Could be wrong but I feel that is more likely vs WNW being terrible liars
-Patrick

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
Its always exciting when Wingnuts lifts a corner of their curtain and gives us a glimpse inside the magic cave :)

I have not read the magazine article but the remarks attributed to Richard are of interest. All of us excitedly await and speculate on what the forthcoming projects may be after the Taube. We all have our favourites and personally I endorse their not doing a DR.1 if it means we instead get a new kit that has not been done in 1/32 or has been done badly to date. Yes I'm looking at you, Roden Siemens Schuckert D.III

Wingnut Wings kits are the best 1/32 WW1 kits in the world. I would hope we will see some more British subjects and perhaps less emphasis on German 2 seaters or bombers.

As for the long- promised figures and special editions, Wingnuts have been promising these since 2009 so they must expect customers to be a little cynical by now. I would rather that they put the R & D money into new kits rather than accessories. Let that side go to the aftermarket people.

Its comforting to know new projects are in the wings ( as it were) and long may it continue.

I can't imagine a 1/32 scale WW1 modelling world without Wingnuts in it.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 08:52:36 PM »
Sounds good. 20 more models and-best at all 200 figures!!!
Sad to hear they won't do a new Dr1, but I can life with this fact.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 02:14:32 AM »
And here I was hoping that WNW would release at least one new type for the 100 years anniversary of early war planes: Vickers, Farman, and a few others. The Taube is a good start on early war stuff.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
Sir Peter and Associates have their own agenda (where would a Roland Walfisch have ranked on ANY modeler's Wish List??) which is (with minor exception) immutable and known only to them.. . I get a real yuk from those who seem to expect that WnW must per force move to "Golden Age"aircraft once they're  done with WWI (FTFO!)

Offline Russell

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 04:57:20 PM »
Sir Peter and Associates have their own agenda (where would a Roland Walfisch have ranked on ANY modeler's Wish List??).....

Rob,
Quite high up judging by some of the polls on various forums & the reception it received. Even Airfix produced one approaching 50 years ago & it's still getting re-released with different boxes etc.

As you say though WnW have their own agenda - I find this a breath of fresh air compared to other companies who (very understandably) have to produce what they think the 'market' wants most.

Regards
Russell   

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 01:07:35 AM »
As you say though WnW have their own agenda - I find this a breath of fresh air compared to other companies who (very understandably) have to produce what they think the 'market' wants most.

Regards
Russell
[/quote]

And Good thing they do have their own agenda, look at what marvelous kits they have done !

No "market driven" company would ever make a new 1/32 line of kits with the GOTHA as the #1 kit of the line (and probably never).
Pick any other of the WNW kits outside of the vanilla, chocolate, strawberry variety would not exist under a market driven mind set.

Merely look at 1/32 WW II and how it has taken 50+ years to get such subjects as the Do 335, Ju88, versus the abundance of P-51's, 109's, Spits, etc., etc..  We would not have a third of what we have from WNW and probably never see them otherwise.

Ed

Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 01:19:33 AM »
Sir Peter and Associates have their own agenda (where would a Roland Walfisch have ranked on ANY modeler's Wish List??) which is (with minor exception) immutable and known only to them.. . I get a real yuk from those who seem to expect that WnW must per force move to "Golden Age"aircraft once they're  done with WWI (FTFO!)

As it so happened, the Roland Walfisch was at the top of my WNW wish list for years so I for one was quite delighted when it was announced.  An example of both versions now rest comfortably in my WNW stash.   :)

Eric

Offline Russell

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 03:47:57 AM »

As it so happened, the Roland Walfisch was at the top of my WNW wish list for years so I for one was quite delighted when it was announced.  An example of both versions now rest comfortably in my WNW stash.   :)

Eric

Yes I've got 3 kits of the Walfish, one to convert to the prototype, one for the early linen coloured version & one for the early pale blue version.

Errr..... then there's a kit of the late version - make that 4 then  ::)

Regards
Russell

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 01:18:39 AM »
I wish the move to a distributorship had been discussed. On a personal Canadian note the cost of WNW has become pretty much out of reach. For example the Pup was $69 US shipped free. It's now $79 US and $40 US shipping. Add the slip in currency exchange - I know not WNW's fault - but that's - $69 CDN (we were par back then) to now approx $150 CDN. Pretty tough to justify unless it's an absolute must have type. I wont be buying a WNW just because its a great kit.
Steve