Author Topic: Wingnuts Interview  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Gisbod

Wingnuts Interview
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:59:11 PM »
Apologies if previously posted but there's an interesting interview in the April edition of Scale Aviation Modeller with Richard Alexander.

I suppose it doesn't tell us anything new but highlights are:

Aircraft featured on the box art doesn't mean future kits
He does know what the missing 20 kits will be from the kit numbers 1-76 currently on the website (but won't tell obviously!)
Reasserting that if a good kit is available they won't do it - cites the Dr.1 as an example (apologies to Dr.1 fans  :-[ )
French kits unlikely due same reasoning
Special Editions are definitely due at some point as are over 200 figures!

Guy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:15:14 AM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Russell

Re: Wingnuts Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »
Thanks for the nod to the article.

His reference to the DR.I refers to the Roden kit I suppose. Odd that WnW should consider it good enough to not be worth improving. It's an adequate kit, nothing more & although I have 3 in the stash I'd swap all for one WnW produced version.

Regards
Russell

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:10 AM »
Yes Russell, he cites the Roden Fokker as being 'excellent' but I couldn't agree with you more.

They'd sell them in bucket loads...

Guy

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:35 AM »
   Interesting points Guy, Thanks very much for passing this along. He knows the identities of the 20 Kits for the missing numbers on the list; now there`s food for speculation! My mind goes into overdrive........
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 01:40:52 AM »
That is interesting. The good kits reasoning also means the existing French kits are considered good enough? Misdirection?
 I find myself also hoping for a DVIII. The Avis kit is rough, but workable, and the Micro-Mir is at this point, and unknown.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:22:48 AM »
Apologies if previously posted but there's an interesting interview in the April edition of Scale Aviation Modeller with Richard Alexander.

I suppose it doesn't tell us anything new but highlights are:

Aircraft featured on the box art doesn't mean future kits
He does know what the missing 20 kits will be from the kit numbers 1-76 currently on the website (but won't tell obviously!)
Reasserting that if a good kit is available they won't do it - cites the Dr.1 as an example (apologies to Dr.1 fans  :-[ )
French kits unlikely due same reasoning
Special Editions are definitely due at some point as are over 200 figures!

Guy

These are very interesting news, thank you for posting them! Don't know what makes me more excited, the 20 missing kits or the 200 (t-w-o hundrets???!) figures :)
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 03:44:09 AM »
Still looking forward to the 0/400 from them.

HpH is taking care of that for you, as I've said all along, anything WnW decide to release is fine with me.   ;D

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »
Do i understand well that Richard Alexander said, Wingnut Wings are not doing kits of french planes, as there are good kits of those around? In 1:32th scale? Which kits could Richard have meant? Academy's Nieuport 17? But there are not so many kits of french aeroplanes in 1:32th scale around, are they? I could fancy MANY more...

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:55:35 AM »
Really don't get the obsession with the Dr.I. Quite apart from whether the Roden kit is any good - I've made it and thought it was fine, though you could see room for improvement - I just don't think it's that significant. Not many were built and most German pilots immediately jumped ship for the D.VII as soon as they could, just as Richthofen himself would have if he'd had the chance.

I'm much more bothered about the implication that they won't do an Albatros D.III, not because I want one - I really like my Roden kit - but because it kind of means I won't get an Oeffag D.III. A continuing missed opportunity IMHO - just look at the Osprey volume specifically devoted to them, loads of fab schemes to do.

I think WNW might say, that the Camel happened because to all intents and purposes the later improved Hobbycraft Camels are no longer available.
And I'm troubled and saddened by the reported remark about French planes. Are the currently available Nieuports really, really up to snuff??

Oh well, back to staring bleakly at my stash.
Mark

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 06:36:27 AM »
Drat! Would love a Nieuport 11, 16, 17 by WNW! One can dream I suppose!

Glenn

Online petrov27

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
I agree, while there are pretty decent Nieuport 11, 16, 24, 27 and 28 out there in 1/32 none are near WNW.

A new N17 and Spad 13 would sure be nice though - maybe some other mfg will jump in on that one if WNW is saying no.... Seems like both would be top sellers....
-Patrick

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
It is not the obsession with the Dr.1 so much as the possibility of getting a DETAILED, accurate large scale F.1. Specifically F103/17. I would immediately buy at least one Dr.1/F.1 Wingnut Wings kit. Say what you will about Richthofen and the "tired" all red triplane, he was the most important and significant aviator of WWI and I would certainly build one of his Dr.1s. However, to my mind, Werner Voss's September evening fight with 56 Squadron proves he was the most skilled, daring and fearless dog fighter of any war aviator. Period. His F103/17 deserves to be modeled by Wingnut Wings and I sincerely encourage them to do so.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
Just to flesh it out a bit..,

Re the French aircraft:

"There are plenty of really nice 1/32 models of very popular French aircraft available from Roden, Special Hobby, Amodel, Hobbycraft and Academy so we're unlikely...

There is, however, a dearth of Italian & Austro-Hungarian models... "

I think there's a clue there somewhere... ;)

Guy

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
Apart from the fact that the available plastic kits of french planes in 1:32th scale are all (?) single-seaters, French does not always have to be french, like Wingnut Wings already proved with their (beautiful!) Salmson. Breguet XIV comes to mind (and to my wishlist..: USAS!), or the SPAD XI (USAS too). Then, talking about italian planes: What about a Caproni Ca.3 (even a USAS-version would be possible). And that idea also works the orher way 'round: The Sopwith Strutter, certainly not a french invention, was mostly flown by the french.. And concerning Austria-Hungaria: Apart from the obvious single-seaters and the much appreciated flying boats (not my cup of tea, though), the Hansa-Brandenburg C.I or even the G.I come to my innocent mind... But, no matter what we'll see: only 20 numbers left is far to few, isn't it?

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »
Apart from the fact that the available plastic kits of french planes in 1:32th scale are all (?) single-seaters, French does not always have to be french, like Wingnut Wings already proved with their (beautiful!) Salmson. Breguet XIV comes to mind (and to my wishlist..: USAS!), or the SPAD XI (USAS too). Then, talking about italian planes: What about a Caproni Ca.3 (even a USAS-version would be possible). And that idea also works the orher way 'round: The Sopwith Strutter, certainly not a french invention, was mostly flown by the french.. And concerning Austria-Hungaria: Apart from the obvious single-seaters and the much appreciated flying boats (not my cup of tea, though), the Hansa-Brandenburg C.I or even the G.I come to my innocent mind... But, no matter what we'll see: only 20 numbers left is far to few, isn't it?

I couldn't agree more. And to stress these examples a little further: SPAD XI has the problem of missing interior documentation (afaik), but there's a wonderfull Voisin 8 at the Washington Air and Space Museum. And what about a Caudron G IV in 1/32? A small company in Eastern Europe showed all how to produce a first rate kit of the Caudron in 1/48, hey, New Zealand, you can't equal that in 1/32, don't you ;)?
Caudrons, Farmans, all flown by the French and the Brits and very well documented. So mates! Don't hide behind Nieuports and SPADs! That's a lame excuse for not doing French subjects.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.