Author Topic: what kind of sheen or lack of sheen on Junkers J.1?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline 53ryder

what kind of sheen or lack of sheen on Junkers J.1?
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »
So I started working on the WNW Junkers J.1. Early stages of the interior. Trying to figure out what kind of finishes the interior would of had? Wooden pieces have a semi-gloss to full gloss finish? Was the wood coated with clear varnish to protect it from the elements? Would the interior metal parts be flat in finish? And while I'm asking the questions how about the exterior finish. All metal construction. So a flat finish? Never given it any thought until now as I try and work through this kit. TIA!

Glenn

Offline mike in calif

Re: what kind of sheen or lack of sheen on Junkers J.1?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:16:51 AM »
I did mine in a flat finish. The "bathtub" was armored, so again, my interior was flat, with wood being very light sheen. For leather, I rub my finger on the paint to knock the flat back a little.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:24:18 AM »
Glenn,
    The sole survivor in our National Aviation Museum has a flat finish on the original exterior from what I could tell, it's 98-99 years old! I've seen it many times but not the interior. "Trackpad" here on our Forum examined it closely about 10 years ago, he may know something of the interior finish.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
Thanks for the info!!

Glenn