Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24  (Read 20063 times)

Offline Monty

Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
Before I start this thread I would like to apologise for the abrupt end to my thread on the 1/24 Merit Spad XIII. I became very disillusioned with the kit as there were multiple outline and detail errors - some so bad I couldn't even figure out how to fix them! I had even purchased the Dr.1 and SE5A before the reviews came out - and the reviews weren't good... But the Dr.1 at least had a fair outline, the major components appeared accurate  and the assembly looked OK... But it had one big error in everyone's opinion: It had the wrong engine. A quite nice Clerget 130hp was provided where the Dr1 had an Oberursel U II engine - in 99.5% of cases... the remaining two airframes 450/17 and 470/17 were re-engined by Josef Jacobs with captured Clerget engines - he offered crates of champagne to troops who could scavenge these engines for him from British aircraft! (He wanted the oil tanks and their superior British oil even more...) So if I could manage the markings for one of these I could get a project going...

The other problem (IMHO) with this kit is the cowling: The shape is OK but the cooling holes aren't quite accurate and the definition between the front plate and rest of the cowling isn't so great, so it needs work... The propellor also has a trough  in the rear face - it needs filling. So I filled the back of the prop with putty and filled the innacurate engraved panel line on the cowling...

Then I took a thin slice of 10 thou plasticard and ran it around the position where the two panels met on the cowling: I decided to ignore the slight inaccuracies of the cooling holes (They are a tad too big and set a tad too high...)..

You can see it's just above the old scribed line and extends onto the lower lip edges on both sides... lotos of glue and finger print markings but serious sanding needed!

Even here after a bit of sanding you can see the outer edge start to blend in...

The sides of the cockpit had these wedges of shaped plywood that kept the streamline shape of the cowling and blended it into the fuselage sides - very characteristic of Fokker aircraft. These were cut from Plasticard, curved by spooning, bent and shaped by finger power until they fitted... more or less... then three stringers per side were added...

Here they are checked for fit behind the fuselage frame... Hopefully some more updates soon...

Regards, Marc

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
Nice to see you work on this one, Marc. I wish you better luck with it than with SPAD!  ;)

I have once build a 1/72 scale 470/17. And my argument is, that at least during some time it had no special markings, if you do not count simple white outlines of wing crosses. If you have problems with markings you could go that way, too.

Here is the link to some shots of my Dr.I (unfortunately the further link to "modelarstwo-redukcyjne" therein is not active anymore, that server fell):

http://www.ikb.poznan.pl/przemyslaw.litewka/modele_pliki/fokdr1.html
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
You are a brave soul Marc, tackling a second model in this series! Your plan sounds great, and the Tripe in this scheme and large scale should be very impressive when completed. Great start on the details, I'll be following your progress with interest!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:42 AM »
Wishing you all the best Marc, great looking start.  Will be following and looking to your updates.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
You have made an excellent start with the triangular panels and framework.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
Thank You everyone for checking in! Your little black Triplane is great, Przemo! You certainly have a light, delicate touch with 1/72 subjects, this one is beautiful! Ray Rimmel seems to think the one you modelled is 450/17 - a bit later in it's career with devil's head overpainted and crosses simplified. Your interpretation is spot on, actually. I'm planning to do what Ray calls 470/17, all black with no individual markings and very simple white cross markings. It's not sure from the only known photo whether it had a Clerget engine and what prop it used - here I can add some artistic license! Hi Lance, welcome! Yes, it really is big, and my first 1/24th aircraft ever, I hope I finish it! Hi Juan, I will try to update often, but there's no doubt this one will take time! Hi Rick, good to hear from you! I've only done those panels where they will be visible, a bit lazy of me!

Well, I've spent some time with putty, sandpaper and the cowling... it's beginning to look a lot more Fokker-ish... Of course the two cooling holes are a bit off in position and size, but close enough for me...

Sanded and almost ready for primer..

Regards,

Marc

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 01:57:48 AM »
Well, I did get some more weekend time to make some progress so I grabbed the seat first... general shape OK, but the armchair portions on the side didn't have the characteristic outward curve (flare) so a quick dip in really hot water and a pair of flat pliers sorted that one...

Then I worked on all the wing halves, with some really big parts (for a WW! aircraft) there was lots of cutting out and trimming of sprue connections to do, but it all went well and the parts fitted... I also filled the spar inspection hatch on the top wing as together  with every other kit with this feature, it is too far back.. I have an idea on how to reinstate it a bit further forward at a later date... But the wings give some impression on the size of this bird...

The photo isn't that great - sorry - had to hold the camera in the other hand! The ailerons are just fitted in place on good tabs and slots - I can fit them for good after painting and decals - that is a relief!

Then there's a whole lot of bits and pieces on my desk getting some attention: The fuselage frames need cleaning up (they are a bit thick but I'll live with it) The prop is getting it's fifth layer of surface primer to smooth it up, the control stick gets an extra throttle lever and the engine halves are together... Engine mount cleaned up too...

Yeah, it's all fun...
Regards,
Marc

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:04 AM »
Starting to come together very nicely Marc, the work you have done on the engine cowl will make all the difference and well worth the efforts, this will be a great build to follow, looking forward to seeing more.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:36:55 AM »
Hi Des! Thanks for checking in! On a less than perfect kit like this I try to correct the errors first then get on with the build! Hopefully some colour will bring it to life... Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
You are making great progress here! All is looking terrific!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 05:47:14 AM »
Hi Rick! Thank you for checking in! I must confess progress is slow, it's just life that gets in the way! I did at least get the engine together, actually some neat moulding and should look OK...

I hope to get more time this weekend...
Regards,
Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 03:21:06 AM »
Your Clerget is coming along nicely! It still amazes me that they made such a major error in this kit!
RAGIII

Offline Europapete

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »
A Merit kit?? Seriously?? Ok, then your name will be put forward for a Medal of Honor regardless of the outcome.

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 12:53:58 AM »
Hi Rick! Thanks for checking in. Yes, the engine error is major. I can only think they saw the good photographs of Jacob's plane and decided this was the right engine! Hopefully Aviattic will come to the rescue with an Obureusel for us - the remainder of the kit can be worked on!
Hi Europapete, Great to have you along! No, this is not a serious build, just fun! And I think a purple heart would be more appropriate! But I don't think it's all bad, the fit is great, outlines are really OK and some details can be easily added...

So here I go back to "Step 1" in the instructions: The frame halves are cleaned up, and all the transverse tubes attached. The instructions would have you add the ammunition bin, cockpit floor and rear wall at this stage, but I want to paint them separately first. I may be making a lot of trouble for myself (or even creating "Mission Impossible") but the frames are flexible and I can get them to fit in the fuselage halves first... It all looks a bit bland without paint...

The rear wall of the cockpit is a problem: It has the upper transverse mounting tube for the upper seat support moulded integrally: This makes it quite crude and will be obvious. I also has too great big fat ejection pin markings and two diagonal battens that should be wires. Just not good.

There is a quite simple fix: Just reverse it, add you ovwn transverse bar and diagonal rigging... You were going to do that anyway, I know... There are a few minor sink marks that help it to look like fabric! The lacing round the edge can also be added after drilling out all the fine holes, but my life is too short for that:

Then I started on the rear face of the firewall: The engine support struts and carburetor
 glued in place: There isn't much detail here, I will check how much is visible before I start adding stuff!

All in a  light, translucent grey plastic so not very interesting! But some progress is made:

Regards,
Marc

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »
And a little bit further today: I put the fuselage frame work together: And it was a fairly painless operation. To my delight, the floor, ammunition bin and rear cockpit frame could be clicked in place without gluing and can be removed for painting. This will simplify things when it comes to painting for sure...

Well, that seems to be all this weekend! Enjoy your modelling!
Regards,
Marc