Author Topic: Vertigo jig  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Jim

Re: Vertigo jig
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »
Ps this is the email I've got...

[email protected]

The email address from their website is different to what you quoted:

[email protected]
Woof!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 12:25:26 AM »
Steve,
    Thanks very much for your time and efforts on explaining the Jig/Upgrade Set confusion. Made such perfect sense to me that I ordered the BI 3224 Jig from UMM this morning. I find these gadgets indispensable and needed one with a larger (chord) capacity to augment the AeroClub one I've used for years. I've used UMM in the past and have nothing but good reports on their service. I was unsure whether the Upgrade set was required but you've explained it very clearly. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Russell

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 03:08:42 AM »
After reading all of the posts above I've ordered a basic biplane jig from UMM in the US.

Although it would normally make sense to order direct from the maker in Europe as it would avoid import charges (I'm in the UK) I'd rather pay a bit more & actually get what I order from UMM.

Regards
Russell

Offline jamieg

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 03:09:18 AM »
Steve,
    Thanks very much for your time and efforts on explaining the Jig/Upgrade Set confusion. Made such perfect sense to me that I ordered the BI 3224 Jig from UMM this morning. I find these gadgets indispensable and needed one with a larger (chord) capacity to augment the AeroClub one I've used for years. I've used UMM in the past and have nothing but good reports on their service. I was unsure whether the Upgrade set was required but you've explained it very clearly. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Lance, you can increase the span very easily for the Aeroclub jig; you just have to get longer threaded rods. I got mine from an industrial fastener company which is only a few blocks from my place called Spaenauer. I bought two 1 metre lengths for less than cdn $4.00 although that was a few years ago.

Jamie

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:00 AM »
Steve,
     I agree regarding the weight, I'm either going to use your washer trick or secure it to a heavier base once I get it and put it together.

Jamie,
   Thanks, actually it's the larger Chord of the wing, not the span that limits my AeroClub Jig. I have an extended threaded rod on mine which I ordered initially but most of the two seat larger models (most recently the Hansa Brandenburg W.12) can't be fit between the front and back vertical posts. The design of the Vertigo product should solve that problem.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 05:03:54 AM »
Thanks all for the input,

I sent them a message through PayPal a few days ago, but still no reply.

Very frustrating and I don't really see the point of them not replying as it will mean more hassle for them in the long run.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »
Something weird should have happened, I purchased mine months ago and got it in my mailbox pretty quickly...
:-O

Offline Propuldude

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 01:53:03 AM »
Hi, When assembling and gluing the Vertigo jig bits together, I recommend that you use Acrylic Cement rather than Cyanoacrylate ..It goes together much cleaner and stronger. I experimented with both prior to assy. A great jig.

Offline Russell

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 03:48:40 AM »
Hi, When assembling and gluing the Vertigo jig bits together, I recommend that you use Acrylic Cement rather than Cyanoacrylate ..It goes together much cleaner and stronger. I experimented with both prior to assy. A great jig.

Did the Cyanoacrylate fog the parts at all in your tests?

Regards
Russell

Offline Propuldude

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 02:12:48 AM »
Hi Russel, In almost all tries , It clouded. I wound up using the Aforementioned Acrylic Cement which dries clear and stronger..Use it sparingly!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:48 AM »
   Has anyone tried epoxy, the 5 minute kind?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 05:47:51 AM »
Hi all,
I have a 'Third Hand' by Kronos in the States.  It's a great piece of engineering and takes 1:48 and 1:32 scale models at any angle (even upside down).  Holds the model securely.  The base is held firmly by a powerful magnet and has a single lock.  The arms can be moved in any direction then locked in position.  Not a cheap piece of kit, but I think worth the cost.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »
   The Third Hand is the greatest thing to hit the hobby since the advent of the Airbrush! I love it however I far prefer an assembly and alignment Jig for the upper wing addition operation, especially the older kits that don't feature the superb engineering of strut fitment like Wingnut Wings.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
Still heard nothing despite the message through PayPal - unfortunately I'll have to go down the dispute line I think

Guy
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:01:04 PM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »
Still heard nothing despite the message through eBay - unfortunately I'll have to go down the dispute line I think

Guy

I initially sent off an email and got nothing - even used Google Translate to write a Slovak version.  Then I went through PayPal dispute, and I've still not heard anything even through the dispute line yet.  I may have to move this to challenge or whatever they call it. 

I was dreading the idea that this was a one-man operation and maybe he was laid up in the hospital or unexpectedly died or something, but then I noticed that Vertigo Miniatures has posted to their Facebook page as recently as March 15.  So they are online and apparently simply ignoring these mails.