Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 SE.5a Available  (Read 4902 times)

Offline rasbury

Eduard 1/48 SE.5a Available
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: Eduard 1/48 SE.5a Available
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:23:40 AM »
Yes, rasbury, I got today the news from their newsletter, it seems a great kit, what do you think?

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 03:15:28 AM »
I downloaded the instructions pdf last night. Pretty complex for an Eduard kit and it appears to be an interesting and worthy build. However, the instructions I have, while in English also have some puzzling features, in Cechz I suppose... There are some bright red circles, lines and parts highlighted, but the accompanying instructions for what these mean are not in English. An oversight, perhaps? Any illumination from Eduard will be appreciated. I'm reluctant to buy this kit until those ambiguities are resolved.

Ideas on what these are?
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
In their newsletter Eduard also announced a Weekend Fokker F. I in 1/48.  It will also undoubtedly re-ignite the yellow v. green cowl bit as the art shows yellow.  I suppose you could buy 2 and make one of each color ;).

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Not necessary. It was yellow.

::)
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Brez

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »
I downloaded the instructions pdf last night. Pretty complex for an Eduard kit and it appears to be an interesting and worthy build. However, the instructions I have, while in English also have some puzzling features, in Cechz I suppose... There are some bright red circles, lines and parts highlighted, but the accompanying instructions for what these mean are not in English. An oversight, perhaps? Any illumination from Eduard will be appreciated. I'm reluctant to buy this kit until those ambiguities are resolved.

Ideas on what these are?

Taken from their newsletter -
"A word of warning. It was shown that we have
a mistake in the instructions, where the engine block
parts are reversed and also the wing struts with the
pitot tube are on the wrong side. The product page
on our website has the correct instructions, and we
apologise for the mistake. But no one’s perfect.
Other than that, the model’s pretty darn good,
and I must say it is the best to our abilities."

And it does look pretty damn good, with a couple of bits and pieces even WNW missed. One thing though, kit part B9. I've got my fingers crossed that Eduard offer an alterative in the Royal boxing, with bulged cockpit sides to be able to model McCudden's B'4891 amongst others. Or maybe a resin aftermarket part someone?

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
Without any doubt I shall get one of these. I just love the SE 5a. For me it was a real thorougbred of an aircraft. When I was a lot younger and first admiring profiles of Great War biplanes, I would place my finger over their top wings to imagine them as monoplanes. The SE 5a then looked so like a sleek World War II fighter; the poor old Camel like a design dead end, or, at best, a stumpy inter-war Boeing.

Any new Great War kit is welcome, but I won't easily forget the deightful Roden 1/48 SE 5a kits. Not the easiest of kits for me, but somehow they had a lightness of touch that captured things beautifully.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline ondra

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »
A friend of mine received one sample for review, so I was lucky to see the photos of the kit.

Some details are really excellent and all in all this kit is definitely the best model of S.E.5a in this scale.

On the other hand, there are some details which look like the designers had to work in hurry. E. g. the door behind the cockpit is depicted by positive lines, the same applies for several details on the lower side of the fuselage and on the wheels.

Re the instructions manual - as I speak czech, I will download the instructions and post the translations here. Hopefully by the end of the next week.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 02:14:53 AM »
In stock at Hannants now
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline miecio52

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
Stripes on the wings obviously too thick. :o
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline xmald

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »
The kit is very nice indeed! I have it since Friday  ;) The only flaw I`ve managed to find so far is the one mentioned by Mietek already - the rib tapes are slightly too pronounced for my taste, but maybe after a coat of paint I will change my mind.
Best regards
Filip

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
what i am confused about is the brassin propellers. one is left turning and the other right turning. i do know that the viper vs the hisso are different and iirc one version is geared and spins opposite having an extra assy and in one case the prop spindle exits the radiator in a high position and the other a low position. off the top of my head cant remember which is which but shouldnt one be for viper and one for hisso versions? i looked at the instructions on eduards site and they both show the same config of rad and engine with each of the 2 counter rotating props. so i think eduard missed something. will have to check my refs to see exactly

Offline ondra

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »

Ideas on what these are?
Hi guys, I am back with the answer on the above mentioned instructions (with red circles and lines) in Czech - I had a look and this obviously is an oversight. Those are editor comments on the instructions:

- the one on page 9 says "draw bulkhead", which is missing on the picture
- the one on page 11 says "metal", pointing at the fuselage cowling beneath the Vickers gun

That is as much as I could discover in the pdf instructions I have downloaded. Should you discover anything else, post here and I will be hapy to help.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
In-box review on Hyperscale today http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/kits/eduard82131reviewbg_1.htm
Looks great to me!

Cheers

Syd

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
I just received mine, it's fantastic!