Author Topic: Hello from Auckland  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

Hello from Auckland
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Marcus, Auckland New Zealand. Originally from Nelson I now reside here. Out of school I drove grey boats around for a while before settling down with my lovely wife and now our three kids (+ cat, 2 chickens, 2 Flemish Giant rabbits and the bee hive). Occupation wise I have bounced around a little after coming ashore and now am a Revit modeler specializing in design and construction of fire sprinkler systems.

I was doing a little research into how rigging can be done when bumped into the forum and all the great builds here.
I am mostly building aviation subjects with a couple of the other random items that are found deep in the stash.
Like many I used to have a very defined interest but over the years it has expanded some. You know the thing a JASDF F-4 in Oceanic Blue Camo, well that is a maritime subject. Better get Spey Phantom to go with it. Oceanic Camo? Well the F-2 wears that also.

Like the IDF Sufa? Well that is pretty sweet but then so is the Venezuelan F-16B!!

For WWI I really did not have a big interest in the area. My first build was a 1/72 Panda Albatross D.III as kid but not too much since then, until I went through the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre. What a place, wow! Then the introduction to WNW and now I have a few on the shelf.

The first to be built is the Pfalz D.III which I have chosen because, 1- it is gorgeous & 2- pretty simple rigging.

Marcus

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hello from Auckland
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Hello Marcus and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to seeing your build of the Pfalz D.III, it is a beautiful kit. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish, we have many very talented modelers here who are all willing to share their knowledge.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Marcus, and to WWI Aircraft Modelling. There's lots of expertise and tremendous talent here all available on a helpful and friendly basis. Enjoy, and I look forward to seeing your work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
Welcome Marcus

I'm an expat Kiwi, resident on the Gold Coast, Queensland for the past 17 years. Welcome to the friendliest forum on the Internet. Any help you could ever want with WW1 models is here for the asking.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
Welcome aboard, Marcus!  I think you'll find the Pfalz a perfect choice because,  1- it is gorgeous & 2- pretty simple rigging & 3- it looks somewhat like a dolphin.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »
That's great news. I love dolphins, they taste delicious!

Thanks for the welcome.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 12:41:40 AM »
Welcome to the Best Forum on the Net Marcus! I also am looking forward to your Pfalz build. I agree with everything Bud said with the Possible exception of the Dolphin Comment  :-X I think you will find the Pfalz is one of the favorite aircraft of many here, and it is way up on my list.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 02:13:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum Marcus

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 03:57:51 AM »
Welcome Marcus! This is a great site to get you going with that Pfalz! There's lots of info and very friendly encouragement. Enjoy! Regards, Marc.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »
Hello Marcus,
it was the right decision to come aboard.
Have fun here,
Greetings from Germany,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Welcome aboard, Marcus  ;)
You have hit gold with this forum.... enjoy!

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:50:02 AM »
Well, thanks everyone, this is quite a welcome!

So I few positive comments towards the Pfalz D.III. Dood, bodes well.
Does anyone have a link towards a guru build? Not that I am, but if there are a couple of well detailed threads it would help me greatly to see how some things are done.

A for instance? For instance I will be using Uschi rigging thread but have no idea what sort of turnbuckles would be used where?

I have never rigged a biplane before but as a minimum was thinking about the thread plus a little stretched cotton bud to mimic turnbuckles.

After seeing some of the builds here many of them really are all in, so maybe I could up my game a little and really use turnbuckles, but which ones would be where?

Marcus

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
There are several/many really good Pfalz DIIIa builds here. Probably the best build I can think of is Unlaufmotor The Olfd Worn Workhorse. Photos available in the specific Aircraft Build Section:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2790.15 

For the other end of the Spectrum go through this thread  ::)

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6115.0
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
Welcome Marcus from the WNW wonderisland, have fun here!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
Thanks for those links they were a great help, they lead me to a build of a Pfalz by a chap, Bertl. Have you seen his builds? Wow, next level! His Eindecker is stunning!

As for which turnbuckles where. It seems to be a case of find the best references you can and copy them? There is not such a thing as a rigging guide that details each wire and the type of t'buckle used?

Chao for now.
Marcus