Author Topic: WNW Camel Rigging Points  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
WNW Camel Rigging Points
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »
Looking over the Camel, it appears that most of the rigging points for the landing wires and flying wires were omitted.  Any comments from the builders of the pre-releases?

Online RAGIII

Re: WNW Camel Rigging Points
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
I just looked and you seem to be correct. Perhaps WNW thought it was time we use our own skills to locate the holes for the wires  ;D Like most others I have become used to the clearly defined locations and this feature will be missed but isn't a deal breaker!
RAGIII

PS: Having had a second look with Magnifying glasses I think they are there. Just VERY close to the strut locations and not as well defined as previous kits. It will take some very careful drilling work.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:37:37 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »
That does seem slightly odd though. Looking at Petrov's initial Camel build - I thought the mouldings didn't look quite as sharp as usual? Or was that just me/ the photo?

I haven't got one to hand but for those that have - is it up to scratch?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:13 PM »
there are points for drilling the double wires on the fuselage and lower wings (the aft pair that appear to go through the wing to attach to the fuse) and points for the forward double wires where they attach to the fuse but they are actually on the top of the undercarriage part where it joins the fuselage. WNW do not appear to have provided the rigging points for the double wires on the undersides of the top wing however.

Other rigging points are on the struts themselves as little rings - not certain how well that will work out but I am going to attempt to use them.

As far as detail, aside from all the injection circle marks on the interior bits, I would say the detail is as good as they have done in the past - maybe better in some areas (comparing some of the cockpit fixtures to those in the Pup the Camel seems slightly improved)
-Patrick

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:10:46 AM »
From Petrov:

"Other rigging points are on the struts themselves as little rings - not certain how well that will work out but I am going to attempt to use them."

I've used them on some of their models, the recent Hansa Brandenburg HB.12 for eg. and they work nicely with the elastic rigging products like EZ-Line and Modelkasten. For mono which has to be tightened I've had no luck, they are too frail. Sounds like a bit of a cautious and studied approach will be required........
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:13:13 AM »
What I was looking at were the outboard attachment points at the strut. 

With the elastic thread, I need to work up a way to create a fake RAF Wire socket.  See the attached.  I would still like to be able to color the thread silver or grey.  So far, it has not taken dye.  I will have te experiment with silver markers.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:43:30 AM »
    I have found Mr. Metal Color #213 "Stainless" works well on both EZ Line and Modelkasten.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
Hi all,
I've tried various methods to replicate RAF 'streamlined' flying wires and their attachments (see actual Sopwith Camel wing rigging below, from the Shuttleworth Collection, as an example).

1. EZ line or Prym or equivalents - these 'stretchy' lines do flatten to replicate 'streamlined' rigging, but I found this type of rigging gives no structural strength to the completed model.
2. Photo-etched flying wires and associated attachments from RB Productions are of different sizes are good, but again add no structural strength to the model and in addition, the end fittings are one size, which doesn't suit some of the different sizes of flat wire.  Also I found the wires can slightly distort (bow) if the model is flexed or displayed at an angle.
3. Stretched sprue - Many modelers heat and stretch sprue to form thin strands of rigging.  Again no real strength in the final product and achieving standard sized strands might prove tricky.

I've settled on using 'Steelon' mono-filament (of different sizes - 0.12, 0.14, 0.3 mm), Albion Alloy Nickel-Silver tube, thin copper wire (0.12 mm) and RB Motion miniature nuts.
Basically I spin the copper wire around a 0.2 mm drill to form an eyelet.
Take a length of Steelon line and slide on a nut and cut tube of the appropriate size.
Pass the end of the line through the eyelet 'ring' and back through the tube and nut.
Flatten the eyelet 'ring' so the tube and nut can be slid over the eyelet.
Do the same at the other end of the line, but don't slide the tubes and nuts over the eyelets yet.
Secure both end eyelet 'tails' into appropriate size holes pre-drilled into the model at the correct location and angle (to align with the opposite end attachment). Being copper wire, they will move to align once tension is applied to the line.
Slide the tube and nut over the eyelet at one end of the line so the tube butts up against the model and secure in position using thin CA adhesive, which will run through the nut, tube and eyelet to attach it all to the model.
Do the same at the other end, pulling the line through the tube and nut to tighten the line, then secure with CA adhesive.
Cut away the free exposed line at the tube.
Any slack in lines can be removed by applying heat from such as a soldering iron, with care, along the length of the line, which will shrink and tighten.

Completed rigging is airbrushed with Alclad Semi-Matte (AL 312) lacquer, which does not affect the line and 'knocks back' the glossiness of the line.  The end fittings can be toned down using washes or thinned paint.
I've found this method looks OK as even at 1:32 scale, as I think most viewers would not notice the flying wires were round and not flat.  Also the line gives strength and rigidity to the completed model (I have mine display at an angle on shelving) and all that can seen is the tube and nut holding the line.

Below as an example is my Sopwith Snipe (conventional rigging with turnbuckles is only used on flying control runs).

Just my 2 cents worth if it helps  :)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:46:24 PM by sandbagger »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »
As an aside, I have the book 'British Military Aircraft of World War One - The Official Technical and Rigging Notes for RFC and RNAS Fighting and Training Aeroplanes, 1914-1918' by London: Arms & Armour Press in association with the RAF Museum, Hendon.

If you want any data PM me here on the forum and I'll arrange to email you copies of the data for either the Sopwith F.1 or 2F.1 Camel.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.