Author Topic: American M1917 Light Tank in Canadian Service, 1941  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Trackpad

American M1917 Light Tank in Canadian Service, 1941
« on: February 23, 2017, 03:43:18 AM »
This is the Meng 1/35th scale Renault FT-17, modified to show an American M1917 Light Tank built under license in the US. There are several modifications applied by the Americans, the key ones being: a different engine which required the muffler/exhaust to be mounted on the left side of the hull; the change to the mechanism that adjusted the position of the large, forward-mounted idler wheel; and the hull modification either side of the driver's compartment. Others include relocating vision slits, changes to suspension wheels, some hull fittings, and minor hull mods.

None of the M1917's arrived in Europe before the end of the war. The Americans used them until 1935, when they were put into storage. Canada purchased
236 in early WW2 to train new recruits in driving, maintenance and some crew commanding. One of these vehicles is the subject of this build.

Be on guard with this kit. It builds up into a very nice model, but you must be very careful to use exactly the right part in exactly the right place. Some of the parts look to be interchangeable, but they are not. The instructions are in exploded view, and the fitting of a few parts correctly can only be discovered by looking closely at the parts diagram to determine just how the part actually fits. In one case, it is only the position of a single small vertical reinforcement structure in the drawing that gives the correct positioning of the part. Optivisors do come in handy!

So here she is, an American M1917 Light Tank in the service of the Canadian Armoured Corps (becoming "Royal" after the war) at the Corps training facility at Camp Borden in 1941. The model will be donated to my Regimental Museum this spring.

Thanks for visiting!  8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:57:55 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: American M1917 Light Tank in Canadian Service, 1941
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:26:01 AM »
Well done Gary, she's a real beauty. For the Forum Members I was pleased to follow this Build through PM's from Gary and the modifications are considerable and not of the "garden variety", he's done a splendid job on this Build. It goes without saying that the Hussar's Museum should be very pleased with this donation, and not the first from Gary's bench as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:53:57 AM »
Beautiful replica, I am sure your Regimental Museum will cherish your efforts.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »
Extremely well done Gary, I am so pleased that you posted it here and thanks for the tips on building this model, I have two of these in my stash.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:20:33 AM »
Thanks, Lance, Juan and Des,

Des, if you're going to do a straight French FT-17 then there should be no problem apart from dialing up the vigilance aspect. I went into the build with all of my well-developed assumptions, only to fall prey to the suspension minefield!

As to the "rivet" story: slight amendment, already made. If you take out the instruction booklet and go to page 12, step 10, lower right hand diagram. You'll see part C5 to be mounted just in front of the sprocket. Look closely at the outside surface of C5 and you'll see a vertical reinforcement bar cast into the structure. That is the key as to how to attach C5 because the reinforcement bar is slightly to the rear of centre of the outside vertical half of the part. It's easy to see how the unwary (including me, but I caught it in time) might attach it backwards and only when the joint is dry realize that he has a bit of plastic surgery to do. For this build I'd fall back on the old saying, "Make haste, slowly!"   8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:59:40 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
Awesome work Gary! Thanks for the info on the History of this one. I never knew that the FT17 was still serving in 1941 in any capacity! Beautifully painted and the light weathering is terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:16:59 AM »
Extraordinary work on this beauty, Gary!  Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from an old tanker.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 03:40:32 AM »
Gotta agree with all the above !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:45 AM »
Awesome work Gary! Thanks for the info on the History of this one. I never knew that the FT17 was still serving in 1941 in any capacity! Beautifully painted and the light weathering is terrific!
RAGIII

Hi, RAGIII! Well, it wasn't supposed to do anything beyond 1935 except fade into oblivion, but it certainly helped us out at a time when we needed a bunch of trainer vehicles. We used them until 1943, when newer types became available for training.
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
Extraordinary work on this beauty, Gary!  Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from an old tanker.
Cheers,
Bud

Hi, Bud!

Hey, what's this about an "old tanker?" I'm not old, just...umm...more experienced, is all...!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
Gotta agree with all the above !!!
Ed

Thanks very much, Ed, and thanks for visiting!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »
Well done Gary, she's a real beauty. For the Forum Members I was pleased to follow this Build through PM's from Gary and the modifications are considerable and not of the "garden variety", he's done a splendid job on this Build. It goes without saying that the Hussar's Museum should be very pleased with this donation, and not the first from Gary's bench as well.
Cheers,
Lance

"Aw, shucks, boss, 'tweren't nuthin'!" Thanks, Lance!  :)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 03:03:44 AM »
She really is a 'looker' Gary! You've done a magnificent job with this conversion and as we both know, you more than me with this under your belt, it's not an easy one to tackle. My eye is naturally drawn to the modifications to the hull area around the driver's station and to the suspension, and in both cases, they came out looking superb. Well done!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 04:28:22 AM »
Love it! Nice conversion!

Glenn

Offline JamesAPrattIII

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 05:15:10 AM »
A few FT-17s saw combat in 1945 they were with the French army in Vietnam. when the Japanese took over the country.

I believe the germans used some captured ones for training and the turrets for bunkers.

I think some other countries in S America still had them during WW II